Tweed Seniors Festival
About the festival Register your event for 2023 Local achievement awards
Tweed Seniors Festival celebrates the role and contributions older people make to our community.
It runs as part of the NSW Seniors Festival, which is the largest celebration of its kind in the southern hemisphere.
Seniors Festival 2023:
1 February – 12 February
The Festival’s theme for 2023 is Celebrate Together a wonderful theme that promotes our goal of fostering an inclusive community that cares for each other.
The opening ceremony for the festival will be held Wednesday 1 February at the Murwillumbah Civic and Cultural Centre Auditorium. The morning will provide entertainment, morning tea and a presentation of our Local Achievement Awards.
We have a COVIDSafe plan for this event.
Register your event in the 2023 Seniors Festival program!
Council invites your organisation to participate in NSW Seniors Festival 2023 by holding a special event between Wednesday 1s February and Sunday 12 February.
Your event should be open to all seniors, focus on, and celebrate the valuable contribution seniors have made, and continue to make, to the life of our community.
Some suggestions for Seniors Festival events are:
- A special morning tea, afternoon tea or lunch
- Concerts, social get togethers or special film screenings
- Leisure and health activities
- Demonstrations or tours, displays and exhibitions
- You could offer your regular class or activity for free or at a discount to encourage seniors to try it!
Your activity or event will be included for free in a Tweed Shire Seniors Festival program put together by Council’s Community Services Team and published in Council’s weekly newsletter, the Tweed Link.
There will be widespread media coverage and distribution of the program before the NSW Seniors Festival. The Tweed Seniors Festival Program will be available from pick-up points across the Tweed, including registered clubs, Council offices, libraries, community centres and other places seniors frequent. It will also be available on Councils’ website.
Register your event
Your event must be registered no later than Friday 9th December 2022.
Tweed Local Achievement Awards
The NSW Seniors Achievement Awards program is run as part of the NSW Seniors Festival. The Tweed Local Achievement Awards recognise seniors that help make our community a diverse, active, and inspiring place to live.
- Glenda Ashby – service to Marine Rescue Point Danger
- Carole Cohan – service to Meals on Wheels, Tweed VIEW Club and Fun Activities for Banora Seniors (FABS)
- Merilyn Gilmore – service to numerous Tweed charities over more than 30 years
- Ruth Philip – service to South Tweed Over 50s group
- Irene Rainey – service to Tweed Valley Justice Association and work as a JP
- Annie Simonds – service to Friends of the Gallery and Friends of the Pound
- Alan Young – service to Twin Towns Radio Yacht Club
- Sue Breckenridge – service to Murwillumbah Farmers Market and small farmers
Nominate your 2023 local achiever!
Nominations for the 2023 NSW Seniors Festival Local Achiever Seniors Awards are now open.
Nominate a local senior
Nominations need to be received by Friday 16th December 2022 to be considered.