Microchipping and pet registration

Microchipping Pet registration Registration fees Annual permits Desexing your pet NSW Pet Registry

Council assists pet owners to ensure their pets are lawfully registered in NSW. Follow the steps below to ensure your pet is microchipped and lifetime registered.

Step 1. Microchipping
(permanent identification)

If you’re the owner of a new cat or dog you must make sure your pet is microchipped .

By law all dogs and cats must be microchipped by the age of 12 weeks (or when sold or given away, whichever comes first). Penalties apply if you fail to microchip your pet by 12 weeks of age.

Not sure if your pet is microchipped?

Make an appointment with your vet who will scan your pet. If no microchip is found, the vet can implant one and add the details to the NSW Pet Registry.

If a microchip is found, the vet will give you a verification form with your pet’s microchip number.

Once your pet is microchipped and entered on the NSW Pet Registry, you can create an online profile to ‘claim’ your pet. You can then pay your pet’s lifetime registration online.

How is a microchip implanted?

A very small computer chip is implanted under the skin of your pet, usually around the shoulder. The microchip contains a 15-digit number which is added to the NSW Pet Registry.

The microchip number is linked to your name and contact details, so your pet can be easily returned if it is lost or stolen.

Is your pet microchipped but you don’t have the number?

Make an appointment with your vet. The vet will scan your pet and give you a verification form with your pet’s microchip number. Then contact us to see if the microchip number is on the NSW Pet Registry.

Once your pet is microchipped you must also remember to register your cat or dog.


Microchipping is not registration.

Remember to register your pet.


Dogs must wear a collar and tag showing name and address or phone number when outside its own property 
(except working dogs).


Cats must have some form of identification when in a public place.

Step 2. Pet registration

By law all cats and dogs must be lifetime registered by 6 months of age.

There are two ways to register your pet:

You will need your pet's microchipping paperwork, proof of desexing (if applicable) and your pension card (if applicable).

How much does it cost to register my pet?

Registration is a once-only fee, which covers your cat or dog for its lifetime in NSW (including changes of ownership).

Call (02) 6670 2400 or visit one of Council’s Customer Service Centres if you have any questions.


Registration type Description Fee
Lifetime registration desexed by 6 months $66
desexed after 6 months,
or not desexed
Pensioner rate desexed  $27
Pensioner rate not desexed  $224
Sold to owner by
rehoming organisation
(see approved list below) no fee
Registered breeder breeders card with prefix required $66
Working dog (see below) no fee
Assistance animal
(see below) no fee
Additional fees Description Fee
Late fee failing to register dog within 28 days of due date $18
Annual permit for declared dangerous or restricted breed
(registration must be paid as well)


Registration type Description Fee
Lifetime registration

desexed by 4 months
desexed after 4 months (one off permit required)
not desexed (+annual permit)


Pensioner rate
Pensioner rate

not desexed (+annual permit)

Sold to owner by
rehoming organisation
see approved list below  no fee
Additional fees Description Fee
Late fee failing to register cat within 28 days of due date $18
Annual permit if not desexed by 4 months, or not desexed
(registration must be paid as well)

List of approved rehoming organisations

Annual permits for non-desexed cats and dangerous or restricted dogs

From 1 July 2020 owners of non-desexed cats and dangerous or restricted dogs must pay a permit each year. Read about permits

Annual permits can be paid online at NSW Pet Registry or fill out this form and return it to Council (in person or email to rangersadmin@tweed.nsw.gov.au)

Council may issue fines if annual permits or pet registration fees are not paid.

Working dogs

Definition of a working dog: a dog used mainly use for droving, tending, working or protecting stock (includes a dog being trained as a working dog).

Working dogs usually kept on farmland do not need to be microchipped or registered.

If your working dog does not usually stay on farmland, it must be microchipped and registered (no fee for registration).

You must provide a signed statutory declaration (95kB PDF) as proof the animal is a working dog. Please include a list of the dog’s duties, microchip number and breed of dog.

Council may also visit the property to witness the dog working.

Hunting dogs and guard dogs are not working dogs under the Companion Animals Act.

Visit the Office of Local Government website for further information on working dogs.

Assistance animals

Definition of an assistance animal: an animal trained and used to ease the effect of a disability.

To register an assistance animal contact Council. (There is no registration fee.)

You will be asked for reasonable proof that:

  • you have a disability (medical certificate required)
  • your animal has been trained to ease the effect of disability
  • your animal has been microchipped
  • your animal is trained to meet hygiene and behaviour standards in public places (Public Access Test or PAT)

Council strongly recommends that you desex your assistance animal.

Having an assistance animal registered with Council does not mean it is certified as an assistance animal. You need to be aware of the rules for assistance animals and:

  • rental and housing properties
  • body corporates
  • public places
  • public transport

(Search ‘public access tests’ online for more information)

A person with a disability can train their own assistance animal. You will need to show proof the training meets the required standards.

Visit the Office of Local Government website for further information on assistance animals.

Therapy animals

Definition of a therapy animal: an animal used to improve a person’s wellbeing and quality of life (also known as emotional support animals.) Standard registration fees apply.

How are pet registration fees used?

The NSW Government collects pet registration fees. Council receives some of this money to help pay for:

  • ranger services
  • pound facilities
  • dog waste bins
  • community education campaigns

Pensioner rate

If you receive a ‘Commonwealth issued’ Pension Card you’re eligible for the pensioner rate for:

  • desexed dogs
  • desexed cats

You will need to show your pension or veterans card to receive the discounted rate.

How to make sure you get discounted registration

  • Desex your animal before the required age (4 months for cats, 6 months for dogs)
    If your dog is desexed at 6 months and 1 day, you will not receive the discount.
  • If your pet cannot be desexed by the required age for health reasons, make sure your vet records this on the NSW Pet Registry or provides you with a letter which is dated before the animal reaches the required age.
    For example, if the vet says your pet is too small to desex by the required age, they need to select ‘Not Recommended for Desexing’ on the NSW Pet Registry, so you can still get the discounted rate.
  • If you have a government issued Pension Card and your animal is desexed, you are entitled to a pensioner discount.
    As a Pension Card holder, there is also no permit required for a cat as long as your cat is desexed.

Why should I desex my pet?

  • desexed animals are less likely to roam
  • helps reduce aggression, fighting and antisocial behaviour
  • reduces the risk of some cancers and serious health problems
  • less unwanted animals born each year
  • saves you money

You get a discount on registration fees if your pet is desexed.

How do I prove my pet has been desexed?

To claim the desexed pet registration rate an animal must be permanently incapable of reproduction by 6 months of age for a dog, or 4 months for a cat.

You need to provide either:

  • a letter, certificate or receipt from a vet
  • a statutory declaration from the owner

NSW Pet Registry

NSW Pet Registry is the official database for all microchipped and registered cats and dogs living in NSW. (Previously known as the NSW Companion Animal Register).

Councils and vets use this online registry to find owners of lost animals.

I’ve moved from another state, how do I get my pet added to NSW Pet Registry?

If your pet was microchipped in another state, you need to make sure it is added to the NSW Pet Registry.

You will need your pet’s microchip number to do this. If you don’t have an official record of your pet’s microchip number, ask a vet for a verification form.

Only a vet or Council can add your pet to the registry.

To register your pet, fill out the permanent identification form (P1A form) then contact us.

What can I do on NSW Pet Registry?

You can use your account to:

  • report your pet missing
  • update your contact details
  • change the ownership of pets
  • pay the lifetime registration fee (some exceptions)

Save time, go online.

Selling or giving away a dog or cat?

If you’re selling or giving away a dog or cat it is your responsibility to update ownership details.

You can change owner details online at NSW Pet Registry or by contacting Council. You will need to complete the change of ownership (C3A) form.

You must microchip all dogs or cats that you sell or give away.

If you’re advertising kittens, cats, puppies or dogs for sale (or to give away) in NSW, you must include a microchip number or identification number in advertisements.

Visit the Department of Primary Industries website for further information on selling or giving away a cat or dog.

Have you moved house?

You must update your pets address within 14 days of moving. You can do this online at NSW Pet Registry or fill in the Change pet address form(PDF, 134KB) and return it to Council.

What if my pet has died?

Please update NSW Pet Registry or advise Council in writing.

Information for breeders

Breeders are encouraged to make an online profile on NSW Pet Registry. You can then use your Breeder ID number to easily register litters and transfer kittens and puppies to new owners.

The NSW Government provides information for breeders and a list of recognised breeders.

Responsible pet ownership

As a cat or dog owner you’re responsible for knowing the rules for pet ownership, which are set by the Companion Animals Act 1998.

Council is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Act and associated regulations.

Council officers can issue penalty notices (fines), nuisance orders and menacing, dangerous or restricted declarations.

More information

You can contact Council to:

  • register your pet
  • change ownership
  • update your details
  • update your pets details
  • ask about fines and payment letters
  • pay pet registration fees over the counter (assistance, working and breeding dogs must be registered in person)

Call us on (02) 6670 2400 if you have any questions. Please have your pet’s microchip number ready.

NSW Government