Development advice and enquiries

We are experiencing significant delays in assessment times.

Find out how you can help us reduce delays

Read about the change to duty officer hours

Book an appointment Development assessment panel Private consultants

Planning and building processes are complex. This page will help you find the right advice and information for your development.

You may wish to engage the services of a professional consultant or read more about buying and selling property.

Search details of any
property in the Tweed

Property search

Track the progress of
your Development Application

DA Tracker

Call us or make an appointment - help with lodging a DA

Most development applications and certificates must be lodged through the NSW Planning Portal.

Find out more

We recommend contacting us to discuss your plans before lodging a DA.

Our officers can explain Council's development and building process to you, including required documentation, forms and fees.

This advice is generally for smaller scale residential, commercial and industrial developments (such as building a new home, making renovations or remodelling a shop or cafe).

The more information you provide (such as plans and photos) the better we can assist you.

Talk to Council's team to find out about:

  • assessing development applications 
  • strata certificate applications
  • searches for dwelling house entitlements and past development consents
  • processing certificates (such as Section 10.7)
  • monitoring compliance with development consent conditions

This service is offered between 9.00am – 12.00pm daily. If these times are not suitable to you our duty officers can assist you via the phone between 9am – 4pm daily.

Book a free 30 minute appointment with one of our officers to discuss your plans for a DA:

Houses and rural farm structures

Dwelling houses

Associated pools, sheds and fences

Plumbing and drainage

Fire safety devices

Burning off vegetation

Food (retail, home base, food hygiene)

Rural farm structures

Book your appointment

All other development

Subdivisions and change of use

New commercial (such as cafes)

Secondary dwellings and dual occupancy

Multi dwelling housing

Residential flat buildings

Boat ramps and pontoons

Home businesses

Book your appointment

Or call us on 02 6670 2400 during business hours.

Development assessment panel

Pre lodgement enquiries for larger, more complex developments

For larger, more complex developments we strongly recommend using Council’s Development Assessment Panel. This service provides more detailed technical advice before you lodge your Development Application.

Our panel of planning, building, engineering and environmental officers will advise whether your proposal is generally permissible, and will identify key town planning, building or engineering issues you need to address.

See Development assessment panel fact sheet(PDF, 476KB)

To make an appointment, speak with the Chairperson of the panel by calling 02 6670 2400.

Once your appointment is confirmed, complete the Development assessment panel meeting form(PDF, 564KB). The fee must be paid before you meet with the panel.


You may need the services of a private consultant for certification and expert advice, view all the listed consultants below.

You can also filter the list by category - click in the box below and then click search to just see consultants in your selected field:

216 result(s) found

Page 1 of 36

How to be included in the list of consultants

If you or your company would like to be included, submit your request via the online form.

If you need to change or remove your listing, email the details to