Air pollution

Council is responsible for enforcing certain clean air regulations, along with other government bodies.

We're all responsible for minimising air pollution. Air emissions include dust, odours, smoke, spray drift and gas leaks.

Talk to your neighbour

If you have a problem with air emissions please talk to your neighbour to discuss the issue. Give them a reasonable amount of time to do something about it. If the situation has not changed after that time, it may then be necessary to contact the appropriate authority.

Please be considerate of your neighbours and avoid smoke nuisance. If you're planning a fire, talk to your neighbours first (24 hours notice is required). Smoke can cause breathing difficulties for some people. 

Air quality alerts

Visit the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment website to see if there are any alerts or restrictions in place.

Reporting air pollution

Where air pollution causes or threatens material harm to the environment, a number of authorities must be notified.

Make sure you have identified the source of pollution or contact the relevant authority when pollution is happening. Please provide as much detail as possible. This will assist officers investigating the issue.

Air pollution from a Tweed premises operated by private industry and for which there is no environment protection licence should be reported to Council



Contact Council's Environmental Health services about odour from:

  • Spear pumps
  • On-site sewage management systems
  • Dewatering

Contact Council's Water unit about odour from:

  • Council sewage treatment plants


Contact Council's Environmental Health services about smoke from:

  • Backyard burning - Residential and some commercial land.
  • Chimney smoke - Residential and some commercial land.

Contact NSW Government Health about smoke from:

  • Cigarettes

Additional information:

  • Smoke emissions
  • Compliance information on solid fuel heaters, cookers and stoves

Contact 000 for emergencies


Spray drift

Gas leaks

Gas leaks should be reported to 000 Fire immediately.

Sugar cane burning

Sugar cane burning season generally runs from July to November/December.

Sugar cane burning takes place before the harvest to make it easier to process the cane. It is a well-established agricultural practice and many cane farmers are experts in fire management.

Cane farmers have to apply for permits and must meet the requirements of the Rural Fires Act 1997.

All complaints regarding burning of sugar cane are to be made to the NSW Canegrowers Association,