Business waste and recycling
Reducing waste to landfill saves money. It’s simply good business.
NSW businesses send more than 2.5 million tonnes of business waste to landfill each year. Around 70% of that could be recycled or composted.
It’s cheaper to recycle packaging and food scraps than sending it to landfill. And it’s easier than you might think.
Business waste program
Circulate Northern Rivers works with businesses to reduce waste, increase recycling and identify and support Circular Economy opportunities for business across the region.
Businesses will receive:
- a waste report for your business
- a waste management plan
- staff survey templates
- waste assessment forms
- ongoing support
This service is free and available to all Northern Rivers businesses.
The project also provides connections to other businesses, and support to access funding opportunities for making change.
Contact the project coordinator.
Tips to cut waste in your business
- Carry out an audit to understand exactly how much waste your business creates.
- Ask staff for ideas on how to use less and recycle more.
- Set measurable targets to reduce your waste streams.
- Communicate the targets to staff and get everyone on board.
- Label bins and put signs in place.
- Measure success as you become a more sustainable business.
Let your customers know
Remember to promote your recycling and sustainability efforts to customers.
Waste collection for businesses
Council offers wheelie bin collection services for businesses. Bins are available in a range of sizes. Other companies offer cages, bags and bulk bin services.
- Recycling bin: clean paper, cardboard, metal tins, cans, glass bottles, plastic containers and bottles (no coffee cups)
- Organics bin: all food scraps, cardboard, paper towel, garden and lawn clippings (no coffee cups)
- Landfill bin: items that can’t be recycled, reused or composted
- Paper or cardboard recycling: clean paper and cardboard only (not available through Council)
Recycle more to downsize your bins
|Bulk bin size
||Equal to this many 360L recycling bins
||Equal to this many 240L recycling bins
(0.76 cubic metres or 760L)
(1.52 cubic metres or 1520L)
(2.28 cubic metres or 2280L)
(3.04 cubic metres or 3040L)
What can be recycled?
See green bin, yellow bin and other recycling
Cost for waste services
See Council’s fees and charges. For private providers, search ‘rubbish removal’ online.
Calculate the environmental benefits
Find out how much your organisation has saved by sending less waste to landfill using this online calculator.
Call Council’s Resource Recovery Unit on 02 6670 2400.
Signs for bins
Click on the images below to download bin signs for your business.