My aged care

My Aged Care is a national service to help you find out about aged care services.   

Tweed Community Services delivers 2 of the Australian government's My Aged Care programs:

  • Regional Assessment Service
  • Commonwealth Home Support Program

For more information call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

Regional Assessment Service

As part of My Aged Care, the Regional Assessment Service provides assessments in your home. This is a nationally consistent Assessment Service for older Australians requiring low, basic support at home.

Tweed Community Services delivers the Regional Assessment Service through Community Options Australia.

To find out if you need an assessment, or if you're eligible see My Aged Care or call 1800 200 422.

 Commonwealth Home Support Program

The program provides entry-level help to older people to stay independent and in their own homes for longer.

Tweed Community Services delivers the Commonwealth Home Support Program on behalf of the Australian Government.

Depending on your needs, you may be eligible for:

Community and home support

  • domestic assistance - household jobs like cleaning, laundry
  • personal care - help with bathing, showering or getting dressed
  • home modification - minor installation of safety aids such as alarms, ramps and support rails in your home
  • social support - social activities in a community-based setting
  • transport - help getting out and about for shopping and appointments

Food services

  • help with food shopping
  • help making meals and storing food
  • assistance with learning to cook
  • delivering meals to your home

Allied health support services

  • podiatry (foot care)

Care relationships and carer support

  • respite care (alternative care for you while your carer takes a break)

For information visit the My Aged Care website or call 1800 200 422.