Structures in caravan parks

Caravan with annex

Caravan parks, along with manufactured home estates, camping grounds and primitive camping grounds, are mainly regulated under the Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2021.

The rules regarding what you can install in caravan parks in NSW are very different to those of residential spaces.

These associated structures include such things as:

  • carports
  • rigid annexes
  • garden sheds
  • pergolas
  • verandahs
  • tropical rooves.

Structures Application

If you are planning additions or changes to your site, you will need to follow the steps.

STEP 1. You will need to provide consent - The caravan park owner or authorised representative is to provide written confirmation they support the proposed installation.

The confirmation is to include the name of the caravan park, address, site number, a description of what is proposed, a name and date.

An electronic copy of this written confirmation will need to be uploaded as part of this application.

STEP 2. A site plan - Fully dimensional site plan showing the location of all structures on the site including distance in metres to structures on the site and on adjoining sites, site boundaries and roads.

STEP 3. Depending on the type of addition you are intending you may also need to upload:

  • Engineer's certification (all structures) - the engineer's certification must confirm it has been designed in accordance with the Australian Standards nominated in the Regulation, and clearly state the design meets the design gust wind speed of at least 41 metres per second
  • Waterproofing certification (toilet/shower)
  • Glazing certification (windows/shower screen)

Plumbing - If you are adding a bathroom or connecting to sewer/water you will also need to complete a separate Application for approval of plumbing and drainage work - private or crown land.

STEP 4. Now that you have gathered all the documentation you need, complete the Application for structures - caravan parks and manufactured home estates online form.