How to help in the community

Mayoral Flood Appeal 2022

Together Tweed - Mayoral Flood Appeal 2022

In the aftermath of the devastating 2022 floods, the Tweed community came together to donate to the Together Tweed Mayoral Flood Appeal 2022.

The Appeal raised much-needed funds for affected Tweed communities for immediate help, build resilience to future flood events and contribute to addressing significant long-term issues such as housing.

2022 Flood - donation and volunteer information (as at Wednesday 19 October)


General enquiries 0418 990 267

Volunteers work alongside rural families to help rebuild fences and other structures that have been damaged or destroyed in fires.

Chinderah Donation Hub

23/18 Ozone Street, Chinderah

Open: Monday – Friday 9 am - 4 pm
The Hub will accept donations delivered up until 2 pm.

Service NSW will be onsite from 9 am to 3:30 pm on Thursdays.

There will be services offered by Murwillumbah Community Centre (counselling/financial counselling etc.). Days and times are yet to be confirmed.

Due to the amount to limited space available, the hub is only accepting:

  • new small household items
  • electrical goods and bedding
  • toiletries
  • non-perishable food items.

Due to limited space, no furniture can be accepted.

Customers can follow a range of local Facebook pages of people and property needing clean up help:


GIVIT is managing offers of donated goods, services, volunteering and funds, including corporate offers, in response to the widespread flooding across Queensland and New South Wales.

In NSW, GIVIT is working with the NSW Government to ensure donations are managed to support all impacted communities. As a still-developing event, specific areas will be updated when possible.

The GIVIT website captures all donations online, so you can see and give exactly what's needed, when it is needed.

Recovery Dashboard - support and information to rebuild and recover

For a life-threatening situation call 000 immediately.

See our Emergency Dashboard for updates during an emergency.

Tweed flood recovery support phone list(PDF, 216KB)

There are a number of local organisations and charities that support our community in times of hardship and emergency.

During an emergency event a recovery committee may be set up to coordinate local recovery services and provide support to the community.

Council is a member of the Local Recovery Committee, but does not directly manage volunteers or disaster donations.

How to help

March 2017 flood cleaning upWhen safe to do so, please assist family, friends, neighbours, groups and organisations you are already connected with.

Donating money rather than goods is generally more flexible and provides choice, promoting a self-directed recovery and can more accurately target a need. It also circulates money in affected communities, which stimulates a quicker recovery for the local economy./p>

Consider connecting with local organisations or charities:

Volunteering before an emergency

You can be involved with an emergency through roles such as firefighting, rescue or storm recovery, or through support roles like catering, communications and transport.

If you become a volunteer before an emergency happens, you will be contacting the organisation when they have time to answer your questions, evaluate your request and offer training. During an emergency this may not be possible.

To find out more head to Resilience NSW

Frequently asked questions

Flood water is threatening my property and I need sandbags?

Call the SES on 132 500 or visit 

What should I do if flood water is rising?

Watch and monitor. If you believe you may become isolated or inundated consider your options before it's too late to leave your property.

Call the SES on 132 500 for assistance. If it is life threatening dial 000 immediately.

How do I report fallen trees or branches during a storm?

A tree (or part of) has fallen across powerlines. Who should I call?

Contact Essential Energy on 13 20 80.

A tree (or part of) has fallen on my property. Who should I call?

Contact the State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500.

A tree (or part of) has fallen on the road. How can I report it?

Call Council on 02 6670 2400 with location and size of tree, and whether it's blocking road access.

You can also report a non-urgent problem