Pensioner rebates

If you hold a Pensioner Concession Card or Veteran Gold Card and own and live in the rated property, you may be eligible for a rebate.

Rebates are available for:

  • general rates
  • water and sewerage
  • household waste management charges

The full pensioner rebate is $425.

Am I eligible for a pensioner rebate?

Veteran affairs card

Pensioner concession card - Back

  • You must hold a Pensioner Concession Card or Veteran Gold Card (stamped with TPI or EDA). Note: Seniors Cards and Health Care Cards are not eligible.
  • For War Widows a pension concession card is required. Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs for pension card eligibility.
  • You must be the owner, part owner or life tenant of the property (proof of life tenancy under a Will must be provided). 
  • The property must be your principal place of residency, as shown on your concession card.

How do I apply for a rebate?


  • Apply in person at one of Council’s customer service centres (bring your pension or veterans concession card with you)

How is the rebate calculated?

  • An annual rebate of $250 is applied to residential or farmland rated properties (includes waste collection).
  • A rebate of $87.50 is available off your sewer access charge, if applicable.
  • A rebate of $87.50 is available off your water access charge, if applicable. (As you now receive the full rebate off your water access charge, you can no longer receive a reduction for your water consumption.)

Pensioner rebates are calculated each year and are included on your annual rates notice in July. Any adjustments are made during the year.

Once you have applied to Council the rebate is automatically applied in future years. It will appear on your notice if you remain eligible. If you move to a new property you must reapply for the rebate.

Are rebate claims backdated?

Pensioner rebates are backdated if you apply before close of business on 30 June in the current financial year.

Rebates are generally not backdated from 1 July unless there has been an error in the calculation.

Has your situation changed?

If your pension or place of residence has changed please contact us

I have a question about pensioner rebates

Call us on 02 6670 2400. We’re here to help.