A citizenship ceremony is where you make the Australian citizenship pledge. For most people, this is the final step in their journey to becoming an Australian.
Citizenship ceremonies are coordinated by the Mayor’s office in conjunction with the Department of Home Affairs.
For all enquiries relating to the ceremony, please contact Carole Goodwin on 02 6670 2402 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2023 citizenship ceremony dates:
- Thursday 26 January 2023 – Murwillumbah Auditorium (invitation only event)
- Friday 21 April 2023 – Murwillumbah Auditorium
- Friday 30 June 2023 – Tweed Heads Auditorium
- Friday 29 September 2023 – Murwillumbah Auditorium
- Friday 24 November 2023 – Tweed Heads Auditorium
Watch the video of the Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony in 2022 below.
2022 Tweed Australia Day Awards and Citizenship Ceremony (1:24:47)
Becoming an Australian citizen
Australia Day 2023 Citizenship Ceremony
For all information on how to become an Australian citizen visit the Department of Home Affairs website or phone 131 880
In summary, the steps to follow to become an Australian Citizen are:
- Check your eligibility for citizenship:
- Lodge your application for citizenship with the Department of Home Affairs.
- If you meet the eligibility requirement, an appointment to sit the citizenship test will be made for you by the Department at the Centrelink Office - Tweed Heads South, Level 1, 100 Blundell Boulevard, Tweed Heads South.
- Once you complete your citizenship test, await confirmation from the Department of Home Affairs that your application has been successful (allow 30-60 days).
- You will receive an invitation from the Mayor's office at Tweed Shire Council confirming the date and venue for the next citizenship ceremony. Ceremonies are held every few months and you will receive your invitation about a month before the ceremony. If your postal address has changed since you lodged your application with the Department of Home Affairs, please let the Department know to ensure you receive your invitation.
- Confirm your attendance at the ceremony with the Mayor's office and advise the number of guests you would like to bring with you to the citizenship ceremony. If you are unable to attend, please be sure to let Council know so we can advise the Department and make arrangements to include you in the next ceremony. Note: You have up to 12 months from the date your citizenship application was approved to make a Pledge of Commitment at a citizenship ceremony.
- Enjoy your ceremony with family, friends and other new Australian citizens. The Mayor will be delighted if you and your guests can join her after the ceremony for celebratory refreshments.
The Australian Passport Office will receive confirmation of your citizenship from the Department of Home Affairs within 2-3 business days of your citizenship ceremony. For general enquiries, contact the Australian Passport Office on 131 232.
To download an Australian Passport Application, you can fill in an online form on their website Australian Passport Office. Application forms are also available from the Post Office, where you can also lodge your completed application. Once the Australian Passport Office receives your application form, allow 10 working days for your application to be processed.
If you require a passport urgently, the Australian Passport Office provide a Priority Processing option for an additional fee of $108 to process your application within 2 working days of receiving it.
Alternatively, you can arrange to hand-deliver your application to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 150 Charlotte Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000. You will need to contact them to make an appointment, phone 07 3405 4799, or email email@example.com
The Mayor's office
The Mayor's office has great pleasure in hosting citizenship ceremonies throughout the year. For all enquiries relating to the ceremony, please contact Carole Goodwin on 02 6670 2402 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any other enquiry relating to citizenship, please contact the Department of Home Affairs on phone 131 880
Once your application for citizenship has been approved we will invite you to attend the next available ceremony. We look forward to welcoming you as a new Australian citizen.