Shipping containers and portable offices

Mobile office shipping container

The installation of a shipping container or portable office may require approval.

Do I need approval?

You will not need approval if the installation is on land in a business, industrial or Village zone and meets the requirements for exempt development.

View the legal requirements for shipping containers and portable offices:

If the proposal doesn't qualify as exempt development, you may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

A Complying Development Certificate may be issued for works including earthworks and retaining walls if the proposal meets all the relevant development standards.

You can use the Housing Code or Rural Housing Code to check whether your proposal is complying development. The individual clause should be read in conjunction with all of Part 3.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a DA, what do I do next?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.