Balconies and decks

Deck or patio at front of a house

Find out if you need approval for your proposed balcony, deck, patio, pergola, terrace or verandah.

These have different requirements to cabanas, cubby houses, ferneries, garden sheds, gazebos and greenhouses.

Do I need approval?

You will not need approval if it meets all the relevant development standards for exempt development.

View the legal requirements for your balcony, deck, patio, pergola, terrace or verandah:

If the proposal doesn't qualify as exempt development, you may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

A Complying Development Certificate may be issued for your balcony, deck, patio, pergola, terrace or veranda for land zoned R1, R2, R3 or RU5 if the proposal meets all of the relevant development standards.

You can use the Housing Code to check whether your proposal is complying development. The individual clause should be read in conjunction with the Part.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a DA, what do I do next?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.