Granny flats (secondary dwellings)

Granny flat in backyard next to house with deck

Find out what you need to know about applying for a secondary dwelling (granny flat), including the different development paths.

  • Secondary dwellings (or 'granny flats') are different to a dual occupancy as they are separate to the main home and cannot be subdivided (from the main home).

Do I need approval?

Yes, you need approval for a granny flat.

You may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application (DA).

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

A Complying Development Certificate may be issued for your Secondary dwelling if the proposal meets all of the relevant development standards.

You can use the State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009 to check whether your proposal is a complying development.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a DA.

I need a DA, what do I do next?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application.

Granny flats are allowed on certain land zones. Please see the Land use table (Tweed LEP 2014).

The total floor area of the dwelling (excluding any area used for parking) must not exceed whichever of the following is the greater:

  • 60 square metres
  • 20% of the total floor area of the principal dwelling.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.