Disposal of fill

Truck dumping dirt onto ground

Council often has soil fill material from road and drainage works throughout the Tweed. 

This fill may be available to landowners close to the works (saving us from moving the fill further away).

Development approval

ln most cases the filling of land requires development consent from Council.

Landowners seeking to accept fill onto their land are responsible for obtaining consent before delivery of any material from Council works. Depending on the volume of fill and the proposed location this is not necessarily a complex or expensive process.

Landowners should contact Council's Development Assessment Unit Duty Planner on 02 6670 2400 to discuss consent requirements.

Availability of fill

Works that produce excess fill material generally fall into 2 categories:

  1. Routine maintenance works - relatively small quantities of fill throughout the Tweed on a regular basis.
  2. Construction works - relatively large quantities of fill but at specific locations and times.

When fill from either source becomes available, landowners in the area who have registered interest in receiving fill are contacted to confirm details of deliveries (if required). 

Where more than one site is available to accept fill, Council reserves the right to determine the quantity to be delivered to each site, but generally this will be on the basis of an equal proportion to each site.

Cost of fill

Provided the cost of delivery of the fill to the landowner's location is less than the cost of disposal at Council sites, then the fill will be provided at no cost to the landowner. However if the cost is greater (for example there's a Council site closer than the landowner's location), then the landowner will be asked to pay the difference in costs.

Access to site and spreading of fill

It is the responsibility of the landowner to provide access to any fill site suitable for normal tipper trucks. Any damage to internal access roads is the responsibility of the landowner.

The landowner is responsible for arranging where the fill is placed, along with any spreading and compacting needed.

Register your interest

To start the registration process complete the Expression of Interest - Disposal of Fill application form(PDF, 230KB) and return it to Council via email tsc@tweed.nsw.gov.au or post it to:

The General Manager
Tweed Shire Council
PO Box 816
Murwillumbah NSW 2484

You will be advised in writing that your form has been received and whether any further approvals are required.