Building inspections and occupation certificate

Before Council can issue an Occupation Certificate, various inspections may be required.

You should receive a letter from us outlining which ones are needed, please contact us if you have any questions.

Booking an inspection

Council's building inspection service is flexible to meet your needs - generally we only need one day's notice.

Use the online form to book your inspection or call us on 02 6670 2589 between 8 am and 4:30 pm Mondays to Fridays.

You'll need to provide the following information for all bookings:

  • Council approval number for the work
  • owner's name
  • job site address
  • type of inspection required
  • date the inspection is required
  • name and number of person requesting inspection.

Building inspection request - online form

Occupation Certificate

Before you can move into the building, you need to book a final inspection - review the required documents below, then use the online form and select the 'Completion' inspection type.

Required documents for Final Occupancy

Along with an application for an Occupation Certificate, you'll also need to complete various documents before the final inspection can be carried out.

To see a list of required documents for your building works, expand the relevant box below and complete the Certification of Building Works(PDF, 618KB).

More information about lodging an Occupation Certificate, including a step-by-step guide, can be found on the Service NSW website

Note: Please be aware that Form 15's and 16's are a QLD Building Act Certification form and are not relevant for NSW construction and are not to be submitted to Tweed Shire Council. Certification for NSW work should be submitted via the Certification of Building Works PDF form above or on letterhead indicating full details, standards, etc. of the system, installation or product being certified.

Dwellings, alterations and additions – Class 1a (Single Dwelling) and 1b (B&B, Guest House, etc)

Documents required for new dwellings, alterations and additions:

  • BASIX (Builders Statement)
  • Smoke alarms
  • Wet area flashing
  • Glazing
  • Roof truss certification - provided by roof truss manufacturer
  • Termite control - provided by licenced pest control contractor
  • Plumbing and Drainage Certificate(PDF, 193KB) (NSW Fair Trading prescribed form and include ‘as constructed’ drainage diagram, also Certificate for Backflow if installed)

Additional documents required where relevant:

  • Stair slip resistance - confirmation of product applied to achieve the required rating (letter from builder or applicator to describe how product applied).
  • Survey report - minimum floor height in flood prone areas OR steep driveway grades (obtain from registered Land Surveyor).
  • Structural elements - requiring specific structural certification, such as lintels, structural beams, etc - refer above 'Certification of Building Works' form
  • Bushfire requirements – refer above 'Certification of Building Works' form.

Swimming pools - Class 10b

Documents required if pool installed:

  • Re-circulation systems - statement that the swimming pool re-circulation system complies with AS1926.3 from the pool company
  • Fencing – if glass fencing - refer above 'Certification of Building Works' form (note: glazed swimming pool fencing that also forms a barrier against falls such as balustrades will require an engineering certification to confirm adherence to Section 3 of AS1288-2021).

Carports, patios and free standing sheds – Class 10a

Documents required (if relevant) for carports, patios or free standing sheds:

  • Termite control - provided by licenced pest control contractor
  • Structural elements - requiring specific structural certification, such as lintels, structural beams, etc - refer above 'Certification of Building Works' form
  • Glazing - refer above 'Certification of Building Works' form.

Printable list of required documents for Final Occupancy(PDF, 247KB)

Once a satisfactory final inspection has been carried out you must obtain a Partial or Whole Occupation Certificate prior to occupying the building.

Occupation Certificate applications should be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal, find out more about how to use the portal.

It is an offence to occupy a building without an occupation certificate.

Partial Occupation Certificate

A Partial Occupation Certificate can be issued if the building is fit for occupation but there are still outstanding matters to be addressed.

These matters must be addressed within 6 months of the date of occupation of the building and then application for a Whole Occupation Certificate must be made via the NSW Planning Portal.

Whole Occupation Certificate

A Whole Occupation Certificate is issued by the Principal Certifier (PC) and certifies that:

  • Council has been appointed as the PC under s109E
  • a Construction Certificate or a Complying Development Certificate has been issued with respect to the plans and specifications for the building
  • the building is suitable for occupation or use in accordance with its classification under the Building Code of Australia
  • where required, a final fire safety certificate has been issued for the building
  • where required, a report from the Commissioner of Fire Brigades has been considered.