Australia Day is the official national day of Australia and is celebrated across the Tweed on 26 January. For information on becoming an Australian Citizen see Citizenship
Australia Day Community Events - What's On
There is a wide range of family friendly community events held in the Tweed on Australia Day. To find out what's on in your area visit the Calendar of Events
Australia Day is a great day to celebrate with your community with events held at Murwillumbah, Tumbulgum, Burringbar, Kingscliff, Cabarita, Tyalgum, Pottsville and Jack Evans Boatharbour.
The application process to financially support small community events such as breakfast barbeques, sports and games, fun in the park, is under review to align with Council’s Tweed Shire Draft Events Strategy 2016-2020.
Australia Day Main Event and Citizenship
The 2016 event featured the presentation of the official Australia Day Awards by the Tweed Shire Australia Day Ambassador, Mr George Ellis and The Mayor of Tweed, Cr Katie Milne. The Mayor also conducted the official Citizenship Ceremony welcoming 39 new citizens to the Tweed at the main event at Kingscliff High School on Tuesday 26 January.
Nominations for Australia Day Awards
Nominations for Australia Day Awards are now open and will be presented at the Tweed Shire Australia Day Awards Ceremony on Australia Day, Thursday 26 January 2017. Nominations must be received by 4.30pm, Thursday 1 December 2016.
Award categories include:
- Arts and Culture - This is an individual or group who has made a significant contribution to cultural development within the Tweed Shire community.
- Citizen of the Year - This is an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the Tweed Shire community.
- Community Event of the Year - An event that promotes and increases the profile of its local area and/or delivers wider benefits across the Tweed Shire community.
- Sporting Achievement - This award is for an outstanding playing sportsperson, or team, or an ancillary volunteer who has dedicated a lot of time and effort into sports.
- Volunteer of the Year - This is an individual who has made a significant contribution to volunteer within the community.
- Young Achiever in Community Service (under the age of 25 years on 26 January) - A young person 25 years of age and under, who has made a significant contribution to the community.
To be eligible for consideration of these awards the following criteria will be applied:
- The nominee/s must be an Australian Citizen and must live in the Tweed Shire Local Government area.
- The nominee/s will have made a significant community contribution in their field in the last 12 months.
- The nominee/s should be a role model that people can aspire to.
- The nominee/s will only be eligible to receive one Australia Day Award.
- Successful nominee/s should be willing to engage in Council promotional activities.
- The nominee/s and the nominator must be separate individuals (ie, you cannot nominate yourself).
- Unsuccessful nominee/s may be re-nominated in subsequent years.
- Previous category winners may be re-nominated in subsequent years.
- Ages of nominees are as at 26 January 2017.
- Nominations must be received by 4.30pm, Thursday 1 December 2016.
- No late nominations will be accepted.
- The decision of the Tweed Shire Council Australia Day Committee is final.
- The Committee reserves the right to move nominations to a category it deems to be more appropriate.
You can make a nomination by accessing the Australia Day Awards Nomination Form
Recipients for the 2015 Australia Day Awards, presented on 26 January 2016, were:
CITIZEN OF THE YEAR
YOUNG ACHIEVER IN COMMUNITY SERVICE
ARTS AND CULTURAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD Stokers Siding/Dunbible Memorial Hall - '15 Minutes of Fame'
COMMUNITY EVENT OF THE YEAR
Quota International of Tweed Heads/Coolangatta Inc. - '2015 Remembrance Day Poppies Project'
VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR
Kenneth (Mark) Eglington
Australia Day Committee
The Australia Day Committee assist Council in the coordination of the Australia Day Awards and main ceremony. Expressions of Interest are currently being called for community members to serve on this Committee and will be received until Friday 11 November 2016
The existing members of this Committee are invited to submit an Expression of Interest.
For more information about the Australia Day Committee please read the Australia Day Advisory Committee - Terms of Reference (57kB PDF)
or see Council Committees