Shop second hand
Shopping second hand gives used items a new life. It’s good for the environment and saves you money.
Ops shops, thrift shops, vintage stores, Facebook market place and Gumtree are great places to donate and buy pre-loved clothes, furniture and other items.
Whether it’s a lifestyle choice, a hobby or a fun activity with friends and family, there are always new treasures to discover.
Buy and sell community pages
From second hand book stores to clothing swaps, there are lots of ways to buy, sell or donate:
Second Hand Saturday
Second Hand Saturday is an official day of garage sales across the Northern Rivers.
Once a year residents hold garage sales and bargain hunters search for treasures across the region. Thousands of items find new homes instead of going to landfill.
Next event: September/October 2021 (tbc)
- Take part: hold a garage sale at home, coordinate a joint garage sale in your street, or with your local school or community organisation.
- Time: official start time is 8am
- Where: for residents in Ballina, Byron, Clarence Valley, Kyogle, Lismore City, Richmond Valley and the Tweed.
Cost: FREE to take part
Register now: secondhandsaturday.com.au
Garage sale listings are posted online (no listings in local newspapers). You can also download the app:
Visit their website or Facebook for more information.
Second Hand Saturday is coordinated by North East Waste and 7 Northern Rivers councils, and is funded by the Waste Less Recycle More initiative.
Find a bargain and donate good quality items at local op shops. Some stores offer a free home collection service for donations.
Search OpShop.com to find a store or see some local listings below:
- ADRA (Seventh Day Adventist) Op Shop - 07 5523 2442
- 2/5 Machinery Dr, Tweed Heads South NSW 2486
- Lifeline Superstore - 07 5524 6486 (no baby items)
- 7-9 Greenway Dr, Tweed Heads South NSW 2486
- Recyclers Op Shop (Momentum Collective) - 07 5536 2537
- 3 Beryl St, Tweed Heads NSW 2485
- Salvos Stores - 07 5524 7308
- 2/45 Greenway Dr, Tweed Heads South NSW 2486
- Vinnies - 07 5536 1130
- 11 Beryl St, Tweed Heads West NSW 2485
- Vinnies - 02 6674 2844
- Shop 2, Kingscliff Village, Kingscliff NSW 2487
- Salvos – 02 6672 5828
- 102-106 Main Street, Murwillumbah NSW 2484
- Tweed Palliative Support - 0417 060 085
- The Hospice Shop, and Clifford Lane Shop
Op shop etiquette
Only about 5% of donated goods actually make it to the shop floor, the rest is sent to landfill (at huge cost to charities), or shipped overseas to third world countries.
The Salvation Army alone spends $6 million a year on landfill fees.
Only donate something you would give to a friend. No ripped, stained or broken items.
Do not pile your unwanted goods at the front of the store during closing hours. This is illegal dumping and most shops do have cameras.