Where can I walk my dog?
Off leash parks Dog beaches Prohibited zones Information Sheet
Providing beaches for families to run and play with their dogs is very important to our community. Look for signs showing off-leash areas on the beach and learn where you can safely take your dog in the Tweed.
The following rules apply while in a designated off-leash area, (these areas are patrolled and penalties apply for non-compliance):
- Dog owners must have a leash with them at all times
- All dogs are to be accompanied and supervised
- All dogs in the area must be able to be controlled without a leash i.e. under effective control. This means the dog will come back to its handler if called
- Dogs that are declared dangerous, menacing or restricted by Council (such as aggressive and restricted breeds identified by the NSW Companion Animals Regulation 2018) are not allowed to use any designated off-leash area
- Dog owners/controllers must remove and responsibly dispose of all dog faeces that may be deposited by the dog under their control
- Dogs must be 'on-leash' at all times in public areas outside designated off-leash and dog prohibited areas
Visit our interactive mapping site
Dogs on beaches
The following areas are approved dog off-leash exercise areas on Tweed coast beaches:
South Fingal Head / Kingscliff Beach
Access from Murphys Road Kingscliff to a point 0.5km south of the beach access point at the Fingal Head Quarry.
South Kingscliff Beach
From the boundary of Salt residential area north to the rockwall of Cudgen Creek.
South Cabarita Beach
200m south of Norries Headland to a point one kilometre north of Cudgera Creek.
South Pottsville Beach
200m south of the main bathing area at Pottsville Beach to 200m north of Black Rocks.
'Dog Prohibited' zones
Two areas have recently been declared 'Dog Prohibited' zones under the Companion Animals Act 1998.
Ambrose Brown Park and adjacent foreshore, Mooball Creek
The mouth of Cudgera Creek
Dogs in parks and reserves
The following areas are approved dog off-leash exercise areas in Tweed Shire parks and reserves:
- Boyd Family Park off Piggabeen Road, Tweed Heads West
- Frangela Drive Reserve - Frangela Drive, Murwillumbah
- River Street Park between numbers 73 and 89 River Street, Murwillumbah
- Corowa Park on the corner of Chinderah Road and Terrace Street, Chinderah
- Turnock Park on the corner of Chinderah Road and Chinderah Bay Drive, Chinderah
- The riverbank reserve at the end of Old Ferry Road, Oxley Cove
- Bilambil Road Park on the corner of Naponyah Road and Bilambil Road, Terranora
- Amaroo Park on the corner of Darlington Drive and Amaroo Drive, Banora Point
- Hibiscus and Oyster Point Park at the bottom of Bushland Drive, Banora Point
- Ducat Park - Ducat Street, Tweed Heads