Advertising and signage

Advertising signs

Before you put up an advertising sign, you first need to check if you need planning permission. It depends if the proposed signage can meet certain requirements.

Do I need approval?

You will not need approval if the signage meets all the relevant standards:

If the proposal doesn't qualify as exempt development, you may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

A Complying Development Certificate may be issued for your proposed signage if it meets all the relevant development standards:

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a DA, what do I do next?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment also has a useful guide to the DA process.

Signs on roads and street signs

For road and street signs, see roads and bridges.

For signs or advertising on bus shelters, see public transport and bus shelters

Illegal or dangerous signs

If you see illegal or dangerous signage please report it.

Political and electoral signs

During state government elections Council monitors signage on public land:

  • signs that are oversized, inappropriate or placed in a dangerous location are removed by Council officers
  • all signage connected to power poles is reported to Essential Energy for removal
  • complaints about signs on public property are sent to the campaign office of the respective candidate, and candidates are reminded of their legal obligations
  • any signs remaining one week after the election will be removed and impounded.

Signage on private property

Council’s approach to electoral signage is outlined below:

  • the display of any poster that contains electoral matter in relation to an election must comply with state government legislation
  • no signs allowed in Council's road reserves, either freestanding pole signs, or those affixed to trees or street furniture
  • all other promotional activities of candidates on Council controlled land must comply with the Parliamentary Electorate and Election Act 1912
  • any signs that do not comply may be impounded by Council officers and a fee will be charged for their return.