New homes or additions

House plans and extension or addition

If you're building a new home (dwelling) or adding an extension to an existing one, find out what approvals are required before you begin.

Do I need approval?

Yes, you need approval for a new home or addition.

You may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application (DA).

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

A Complying Development Certificate may be issued for a new dwelling or an addition to an existing dwelling in Zones R1, R2, R3, R4 or RU5 zones if the proposal meets all of the relevant development standards.

You can use the Housing Code to check whether your proposal is a complying development. 

For land zoned RU1, RU2 and R5, refer to the Rural Housing Code.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a DA.

I need a DA, what do I do next?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.