Numbering streets and roads

Could the police, ambulance or fire brigade find your house in an emergency?

By law, property owners must display the house number on their building or fence fronting the street (Local Government Act 1993).

Rural and Urban Addressing Policy(PDF, 202KB)

Australian standard of rural and urban addressing

Council is the street addressing authority for Urban and Rural addressing and complies with the Australian Standard of Rural and Urban addressing – AS4819:2011.

Once an address has been allocated to a property, Council forwards the information to NSW Spatial Services who maintain a central database. This database is used by NSW Land Registry Services, emergency services, telecommunication authorities, and other service providers. The information is also provided to Australia Post.

For definitions in relation to public road reserves refer to the Roads Act 1993 (Dictionary) located at the back of the Act.

Rural house numbering

Rural addressing is a simple and permanent means of identifying, locating and addressing properties in rural areas.

The benefits of clearly identified rural addresses are that emergency services can locate the property and improves commercial deliveries of goods, postal services and administration by various utility authorities.

Councils Rural Addressing database may assist in locating a property's rural address. If the address is not listed in this database or there is a query about the validity of the address Council's Property Technical Officer can help.

A property number is allocated in a logical sequence based on the distance of the driveway of the property from the start of a road and divided by 10. Odd numbers on the left, even numbers on the right. For example, the number 3271 refers to a property on the left and 3.27 km from the start of the road.

Rural properties should be clearly identified with official numbers placed at the property entrance attached to either the mailbox, the gate post or other permanent structure.

For maximum visibility the number sign should be one metre above the ground, directly facing the road.

Rural Roads Addressing(PDF, 2MB)

Urban addressing and numbering

Urban addressing usually takes place at the time of land subdivision. However, if a property number has not been allocated, Council's Property Technical Officer can assist with providing the correct address.

A property's legal address and description is noted on your rates notice and can be confirmed by searching for the property on Council's Mapping and Open Data service. If a street address does not exist and one is required Council's Property Technical Officer is able to assist.

Kerbside numbering

The painting of house numbers on kerbs is not compulsory in the Tweed. However if you are going to go ahead with kerbside numbering the requirements are:

  • Before occupation of the building the property street number is to be clearly identified on the site by way of painted numbering on the street gutter within one metre of the access point to the property.
  • The street number is to be on a white reflective background professionally painted in black numbers 100 mm high. On rural properties or where street guttering is not provided the street number is to be readily identifiable on or near the front entrance to the site.
  • For multiple allotments having single access points, or other difficult to identify properties, specific arrangements should first be made with Council and emergency services before street number identification is provided.
  • The above requirement is to assist in property identification by emergency services and the like. Any variations to the above are to be approved by Council prior to the carrying out of the work.
  • In all instances the stencils used are to be precisely engineered to totally preclude over-spray and under-run.
  • Numbers are to be painted on the kerb side vertical face, or the front sloping face of roll-on type kerbs
  • Numbers are to be placed on the kerb of the street that the number refers to only.

If you are doing the numbering

  1. The intention of your organisation should be explained to the residents and/or owners of the property, when the work is being canvassed.
  2. Your organisation would need to exercise due care to ensure that the correct house numbers are used for each property and in this regard it is suggested that you confirm with Council, prior to undertaking work.
  3. It should be noted that the numbering on kerbs in no way reduces the obligation of the property owner, to display the correct house number on their building or fence fronting the street, pursuant to section 124 Para 8, Local Government Act 1993.
  4. It should also be understood that Council will not be responsible for the maintenance or repair of these painted numbers, under any circumstance.
  5. This letter is to be produced in the canvassing or advertising of your venture.
  6. It should be noted that this approval in no way gives your organisation exclusive rights for the provision of this service in the Tweed Shire.
  7. It should be explained to the residents that under no circumstances are the painting of house numbers on kerbs compulsory in the Tweed.

Frequently asked questions

Can Council provide me a list of streets and owners names?

No. Council is not able to provide this information. However this information may be accessed using RP Data service.