Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Planning & Building : : Building and Construction : : Structure Relocation/Demolition

Email Link   Structure Relocation/Demolition

Relocating a building or structure?

Council does support the relocation of houses from one site to another. Houses can be moved within the Tweed Shire area or can come from far away such as Brisbane.
Typically the house relocation requires the same approval process as if it were a new building. So that would mean a Development Application or in some cases a Complying Development application.
Apart from the normal application requirements the following should be addressed when contemplating a House Relocation:

  1. Is the exterior condition and design of the house suitable for the proposed new site without needing large amounts of work on refinishing or renovating? For houses coming from a far distance often recent clear photographs are sufficient for Council to assess the building. Also the more concealed the house site is the less particular Council will be about the existing external condition of the building This requirement usually means that house relocations are mostly proposed for rural properties.
  2. Generally the building design is to be consistent with the character of other buildings in the area and this requirement also prevents most dwelling relocations to urban areas.
  3. Is the home structurally adequate to be transported and repositioned? An Engineers certificate of structural adequacy is often required to support the application.
  4. The house must not contain any asbestos materials. Usually a report from a licensed asbestos assessor or Occupational Hygienist is required to show that the building is free from asbestos. It is however acceptable to have the asbestos removed from the building by licensed persons and certified before the building is relocated.
  5. An additional application form is also required for house removals Application for Inspection, Removal and Relocation of Structures (509kB PDF). This form covers the specific issues relating the house removals and outlines the additional fees required in the assessment of house removals such as a road bond which is refundable on the successful transport of the structure within the shire without damage to Council’s roads and road furnishings.

Deomolishing a building or structure?

Council may require a Development Application in respect to building renovations and/or the demolition of structures. Where a Development Application is required and these structures contain Asbestos material council may place general conditions on any Development Application advising the applicant of provisions contained in relevant Australian Standards, Occupational Health and Safety Regulations and Guidelines produced by the WorkCover Authority of NSW in relation to handling or working with asbestos.

An application for demolition will need to include additional specific information such as a Demolition Work Plan and general information about the services on the site and for this purpose you are required to complete the form in the following link which includes a description of the information required for the Demolition Work Plan, click here. (93kB PDF).

In addition where the demolition of structures may involve the removal of concrete slabs, Council may require that testing of the material beneath the concrete slab is carried out for the presence of Organo-chlorine Pesticides that may have been used to prevent access by termites. In such situations it will be necessary to refer to Council's Pre-Demolition Testing Guideline (69kB PDF) for further information. In situations where the use of Organo-chlorine Pesticides may have occurred around other structures such as timber piers under dwellings advice should be sought from Council's Building and Environmental Health Unit.
Last Updated: