Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Planning & Building : : Building and Construction : : Domestic Solid Fuel Heater Cooker and Stove

Email Link   Domestic Solid Fuel Heater Cooker and Stove

A solid fuel fireplace, cooker, stove or heater must not be installed without an approval from Council or an accredited certifier.Solid Fuel Fireplace

For gas heater installations contact SafeWork NSW (external link) on 13 10 50.

Where the solid fuel fireplace, cooker, stove or heater is to be installed into an existing dwelling an application is to be lodged with Council using the following “section 68” Application for Approval to Install a Fireplace – Domestic Solid Fuel/Oil Heating Appliance.

Where the solid fuel fireplace, cooker, stove or heater is to be installed as part of a new dwelling or additions to a dwelling it can be approved with those plans.

The following requirements apply to all installations:

  • When designing and installing the solid fuel appliance the installer must consider that the structural integrity of the dwelling is not compromised. Any modification to structural components must be carried in accordance with the National Construction Code. Consultation with a structural engineer may be required.
  • The solid fuel appliance is to be installed and operated in accordance with the NSW Environmental Protection Authority publication Environmental Guideline (external link) for Selecting and Installing and operating Domestic Solid Fuel Heater
  • A certificate of installation is required to be completed by the competent person who carried out the installation and returned to Council prior to use. A copy will be provided with the approval to install the solid fuel appliance.
  • Consideration must be given to the impact of smoke nuisance on neighbours and so burning of treated timber, grasses and green or wet timber is not permitted.
  • A component installer is required to be licenced under the Home Building Act 1989 if the cost of installation is over $5,000. The categories of licence are either ‘building’ or ‘minor trade work (solid fuel heaters)’.
Please see the links below to the qualification requirements for each of these classes; (external link) (external link) (external link)
Last Updated: