Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Business : : Business Gateway : : Operating My Business : : Beauty Services and Tattooing

Email Link   Beauty Services and Tattooing

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Under Public Health Orders (external link) , you must have a COVID-19 Safety Plan (external link) for how your business will keep your customers and workers safe. You can either:

Any business that provides mobile services must also comply with all relevant laws, including work, health and safety and public health laws, as well as local council and planning requirements.

The Australian and NSW governments have announced support for businesses affected by COVID-19.

To find out more about Council’s services and support during the pandemic, visit our COVID-19 Dashboard (external link).

Register your business


This information is for Hair Dressers, Barbers and skin penetration businesses that include:

  • hair removal (wax or electrolysis)
  • tattooing
  • ear and body piercing
  • colonic lavage
  • cuticle cutting
  • microdermabrasion
  • dermablading/planing

Depending on the previous use of the business you may require an approval to fit out your shop:

  1. Speak to Council’s Duty Planner on 02 6670 2400 to find out if any planning approvals are required.
  2. Speak to the Duty Officer in Building Services on 02 6670 2400 to see whether a complying development certificate is required.
  3. Submit a Skin Penetration Premises Registration Form (175kB PDF) to notify Council of your business before you operate.

Annual registration fees

See fees and charges.

Public health regulations

If you are starting a new business or renovating an existing one to include skin penetration activities, you must ensure it complies with the Public Health Regulation 2012 (external link). Refer to the following guides for more information:

Body art tattooing businesses and tattooists who operate in NSW must be licensed with NSW Fair Trading (external link).

Annual registration fees (includes one inspection)

See fees and charges.

Hairdressers and barbers

Hairdressers and barbers that only cut hair are exempt from annual inspections and fees associated with skin penetration registration.

Acupuncture and other medical treatments

You do not need to register with Council if your business is already registered with AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency).

AHPRA - (external link)

Last Updated: