Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : My Property : : Tree Management

Email Link   Tree Management

Trees in parks, gardens and reserves (Council managed land)

Council is responsible for the management and maintenance of trees on the Shire's street roadsides and those on Council owned land. Good planning, species selection and appropriate maintenance are vital for safe and manageable street, roadside and other trees that will provide aesthetic, physical, environmental and ecological benefits to the community.

Council's objective is to provide reasonable and consistent guidelines to defuse emotive situations that may arise over trees on Council owned land in a fair and consistent manner for our community.

For further information please see Council's Tree Management Guidelines Policy (1.08mB PDF).

Trees on my property (private property)

For information in regards to removing a tree from your property please see, Tree Preservation Orders and Preservation of Trees or Vegetation DCP (320kB PDF).

If you are interested in planting trees on your property please see our Native Plants page for guidelines on what species is best suited to your property, and Native Plants for information on what trees and plants will attract local fauna to your property.

Trees on my neighbours property (Private Property)

Council does not have jurisdiction over trees on private property unless an application has been made for the removal of a tree/s from properties subject to a Tree Preservation Order or Council's more recent Preservation of Trees or Vegetation DCP (320kB PDF) .

The Trees (Disputes Between Neighbours) Act 2006 provides a mechanism for resolving disputes between neighbours involving trees through the Land and Environment Court.

Under this legislation residents must first attempt to resolve a dispute through mediation with their neighbours before applying to the Court to have their cases heard.

Further information about this process can be obtained from the following websites:

Frequently Asked Questions

I am concerned about a tree on my neighbours property, what can I do?

Neighbourhood tree issues are a civil matter.  Council does not get involved in such matters.  lf you are concerned about a tree on a neighbouring property the best way to resolve the issue is to discuss it with your neighbour. Your neighbour may not be aware that there is an issue and, in most cases, will be willing to help you resolve your concerns. You should clearly outline your concerns regarding the tree with your neighbour and propose an option for addressing the issue.

lf talking to your neighbour does not result in an agreeable solution for both parties, please contact one of the below organisations for assistance:

  • The Community Justice Centre (CJC). The CJC provides a free mediating service to assist you in coming to an agreement with your neighbour. lt is not mandatory for your neighbour to attend the CJC, but most people are willing to discuss the issue with a neutral facilitator to resolve problems and prevent them from escalating any further. Contact 1800 990 777 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) to discuss your situation with the CJC or alternatively visit (external link)
  • The Legal Answers website (external link) , have a tool kit that has helpful information in regards to neighbourhood issues including tree disputes.  Phone 1300 888 529.
  • NSW Government - Justice Law Access (external link)  site. 

If the issue is still not able to be agreed on the Trees (Disputes between neighbours) Act 2006 allows an owner or an occupier to apply to the Land and Environment Court for an order to remedy, restrain or prevent damage to property or injury to a person as a consequence of a tree on adjoining land.

Before making an order, the Court has to satisfy itself that the applicant has made a reasonable attempt to reach an agreement with the owner and that the tree has caused, or is likely to cause, injury to person or property. The Court also needs to consider the location of the tree, historic or cultural significance, its place in the environment, its intrinsic value and its relationship to soil suitability and the water table.  The Court has the power to authorise the applicant to take action, authorise the land to be entered, require compensation or costs to be paid or require the replacement of a tree.

Can Council remove a tree from my property for me?
Council does not remove or prune trees on private property.  It is the responsibility of private residents to maintain trees on their own property, or engage the services of a tree lopping service.  Please see Tree Preservation Order  for restrictions on removing trees on private property.
The tree outside my house is growing into the powerlines, who do I call?
Essential Energy are the organisation responsible for pruning trees that are growing into the powerlines.  Please contact Essential Energy on 13 23 91, or please see the Essential Energy - Tree Management (external link)  webpage.
Can I have a tree planted on my nature strip?
If you would like some plants on your nature strip, a council officer will inspect the site and, if appropriate, Council will plant suitable species with the following issues in mind: growth of the tree; pedestrian access; vehicle vision; and services line (below or above ground). Phone 02 6670 2400 to lodge a customer work request.
If I am worried about a tree on Council controlled property, what can I do about it?
The best approach is to contact Council and don't attempt to do any work on the tree yourself. Council will have one of our trained officers attend the site and inspect the tree based on your concerns. Phone 02 6670 2400.
Last Updated: