Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : My Property : : Neighbours and Property Issues : : Caravans on Private Property

Email Link   Caravans on Private Property

Moveable Dwellings Outside of Caravan Parks

Sometimes for various reasons Council receives enquiries in relation to the installation of caravans and other moveable dwellings on land that is outside of caravan parks.

The installation of moveable dwellings elsewhere than in caravan parks or camping grounds is controlled under the provisions of The Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan parks and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2005.

This Regulation provides circumstances where approval from Council must be obtained prior to the installation of a moveable dwelling on land outside of a caravan park and provides exemptions for situations where the prior approval of Council is not required.

Where it is necessary to obtain the prior approval of Council, the appropriate Application Form (74kB PDF) must be completed with the payment of the prescribed fee. The Regulation provides for the submission of necessary plans and other information that is required to accompany the Application as well as stipulating certain design and construction details.

Generally, approval to install a moveable dwelling on land that is outside of a caravan park will be granted for a maximum period of 12 months and is usually granted in conjunction with the construction of a residential dwelling on the land where the owner is seeking to reside in the moveable dwelling while the residential dwelling is being built. An Application to reside in a moveable dwelling under such circumstances for a longer period of 12 months will be considered on the particular merits of the situation. However there are other circumstances where people may need to accommodate persons in moveable dwellings associated with an existing residential premise and where the exemptions that are provided under the provisions of the Regulation for this purpose do not apply and an approval is required. These circumstances will be considered on the particular merits of the situation.

Who to contact

- Council’s Environmental Health Services on (02) 6670 2400

Further information

For the purpose of the Regulation a moveable dwelling means any tent, or any caravan or other van or other portable device (whether on wheels or not), used for human habitation, or a manufactured home.

For further information in respect to whether or not the prior approval of Council is required contact:

- Council’s Environmental Health Services (02) 6670 2400

- NSW Local Government Act (external link)

- Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2005 (external link)
Last Updated: