Koala Beach estate
About Koala Beach
Koala Beach is a residential development located between Pottsville and Hastings Point on the Tweed Coast.
The development includes 270 ha of bushland reserved for nature conservation, and is home to at least 24 threatened species and ecological communities.
Koala Beach was designed to ensure wildlife and habitats within and around the estate continued into the future, alongside the residential development. The original and ongoing principles that support the success of this goal include:
- Prohibition of dogs and cats - Koala Beach maps and zones(PDF, 893KB)
- 40km/h speed limit throughout the estate allows for safer passage of wildlife across roads
- Koala food and home range trees protected and planted in backyards and on roadsides encourage koalas to continue living and moving around the estate
- Ongoing funding for threatened species and habitat management and monitoring programs through the Special Rate
- Sufficient clearance between property fences and ground level to allow safe fauna movement through backyards
Common Blossom Bat
For a guide to local groups see Volunteer environment groups
For information on the Koala Beach Special Rate see charges explained.
See Koala Beach wildlife and habitat committee
- Customer Service: 02 6670 2400 for reporting dogs or cats on the estate and general service requests
- Bushland and bushfire management: Bushland Officer
- Flora and fauna management: Biodiversity Projects and Planning Officer
- Parks and gardens: Manager Parks and Active Communities
Frequently asked questions
Can I hire animal traps for invasive or pest animals?
Council are not currently hiring out any animal traps. Please contact us on 02 6670 2400 for further information.
Can I have a tree planted on my nature strip?
If you would like some plants on your nature strip, a council officer will inspect the site and, if appropriate, Council will plant suitable species with the following issues in mind: growth of the tree; pedestrian access; vehicle vision; and services line (below or above ground). Phone 02 6670 2400 to lodge a customer work request, or email your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org