Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Planning & Building : : Building and Construction : : Plumbing and Drainage

Email Link   Plumbing and Drainage

Tweed Shire Council is the regulator of plumbing and drainage in the Tweed Shire. This means we work with the plumbing industry to ensure that all plumbing and drainage is carried out in accordance with the relevant standards.

All plumbing and drainage work carried out in the Tweed Shire must comply with the current version of the Plumbing Code of Australia and Australia Standard AS/NZS 3500 and all work must be undertaken by a NSW licensed plumber.

Generally Council accepts the responsibility, upon notification of fault, for maintenance, repair or renewal of the water service pipework from our water main to the meter and from our sewer main to the connection point within your property. The property owner is responsible for all maintenance within the property from the water meter and sewer connection point.

Connection to Council’s Potable Water Supply

If your proposal is in an area that has reticulated water available and you need to connect to that supply it will be necessary to complete an Application for Water Service Connection (343kB PDF) and submit the application to Council together with the prescribed fee. This fee is determined by the size/diameter of the connection required. Once the application has been submitted and determined Council will then provide a metered connection to the site.

Approval to Connect/Carry Out Plumbing or Drainage Work

You need to obtain Council approval if you are planning to connect or disconnect from any of Council’s sewer, stormwater or water systems or if you intend to carry out any work which may affect its system. This includes any major or minor works such as those plumbing and drainage works involved with minor alterations, renovations, additions or the relocation of an existing drainage line. Council approval is also required for plumbing work being carried out on properties connected to On-site Waste Management Systems (Septic Systems).

To obtain approval to undertake such work the owner of a property must complete an and submit the completed application form to Council together with the prescribed fees. Once an approval is granted for the requested work an approval notice will be issued together with a number of conditions specific to the work being proposed. These conditions will also identify the stages to which inspections will be required to be undertaken prior to the covering or backfilling of the work.

Plumbing Permit

It should also be noted that once you have obtained an approval and in addition to approval for plumbing and drainage work being required, prior to carrying out plumbing and/or drainage work the licensee engaged to carry out such work must apply for a Permit to do Plumbing and Drainage Work (159kB PDF). The requirement to obtain this permit will also be a condition of your approval to carry out the work.

A plumbing permit must be lodged with Council no later than 2 business days before the work concerned is carried out.


Bookings for inspections may be arranged online or by telephoning Council’s Building and Environmental Health Unit. Before booking an inspection please ensure that a plumbing permit to do the work has been obtained from Council by the contractor.

What work should I book an inspection for?

You must book an inspection for the following prior to covering or backfilling:

  • All external drainage including the point of connection to Councils sewer
  • All drainage (internal and external) including trade waste
  • Water rough in
  • Stack work
  • Alterations and additions to existing water and drainage
  • Connections to stormwater systems
  • Sealing of disused services (water and sewer)
  • Work that did not comply with an earlier inspection
  • Any work on recycled water plumbing
  • Any work relating to the modification of an on-site sewage management system
  • Land application areas associated with on-site sewage management systems
  • Final inspection at the completion of work and prior to premises being occupied

How do I organise a Plumbing and Drainage Inspection?

Council's inspection service is flexible to accommodate your specific needs. Bookings for inspections can be made up until 9.00 am on the day the inspection is required. Building and Plumbing inspections are held during business hours, generally in the PM. Please contact a Building Surveyor directly to arrange an AM inspection. Booking a plumbing and drainage inspection is the same process as booking a buildling inspection, for steps on how to do this see Building Inspections & Occupation Certificate.

Last Updated: