Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Our Community : : Stormwater Drainage

Email Link   Stormwater Drainage

Council's public stormwater drainage network includes pits, pipelines, channels gross pollutant traps, swales, bio-retention swales, bio-retention basins and detention basins, of which the various components capture, detain, treat and transport stormwater that flows from private and public lands to the creek systems, wetlands.

Public stormwater drainage network located on private lands may consist of pipes or pits located in an easement in favour of Council, located on the line of a natural watercourse or located historically, without an easement. Council may, from time to time, require access to the public stormwater drainage network for maintenance purposes, in which case property owners will be contacted and access arrangements agreed prior to work taking place. Also see Easements.

Stormwater Pollution

This practical guide has been produced the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation to help us all reduce the impacts of stormwater pollution. Things like washing the car on the grass instead of in the driveway and sweeping rather than hosing. How many of these things are you and your family already doing? Stormwater Pollution Guide (2.96mB PDF)

Development Design Specification D7 - Stormwater Quality (552kB 6.PDF) has been prepared to detail pollution reduction measures for new developments.

Private Stormwater Drainage Systems (interallotment)

Interallotment drainage Is a piped easement generally constructed by developers to convey private property stormwater across other properties to a Council drainage system. The maintenance and service of this type of drainage is the responsibility of the property owners. Interallotment drainage easements will be in favour of other private lands on a property Section 88B Instrument.

Erosion and Sediment Control

Developers should refer to Development Design Specification D7 - Stormwater Quality (552kB 6.PDF) for details of how to manage stormwater during the construction phase to minimise erosion and sediment generation. Where development or building works involve ground disturbance such as excavation or filling, an erosion and sediment control plan is required. This will generally be required to be submitted to Council attached to a Section 68 Local Government Act Stormwater Application for approval prior to obtaining a construction certificate for building or development works. Council has provided standard drawings of typical erosion and sediment control measures. See Erosion Control Standards on Standard Drawings.

Section 68 - Stormwater Applications

For more information about Section 68 application lodgement see Associated Applications.

Where development works propose to:
  • Connect a private stormwater drain to a public drain (i.e. a Council kerb or stormwater drainage system, by installation of a pipe to carry roof water or hardstand drainage from private property across a public road, road reserve, footpath or nature strip);
  • Install a permanent stormwater quality control device (e.g. gross pollutant traps, oil and sediment arrestors) in a private drainage system that will ultimately discharge to a public stormwater drainage system. Excludes single dwellings or dual occupancies;
  • Carry out mandatory erosion and sediment control works on development that involves disturbance of the ground surface of more than 35m2 or any excavation/earthworks involving the removal or placement of more than 5m3 of soil (e.g. swimming pools, in ground water tanks). Excludes house and ancillary construction on rural properties where the construction zone is separated by more than 50m to a water course by a natural sediment barrier such as grass;
An application to Council under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 is required. This must be submitted on the standard form, with the required attachments and fees, Planning - Stormwater Drainage Works - Single Dwellings and Dual Occupancies (79kB PDF).

Frequently Asked Questions

Stormwater is running onto my property from a neighbour's property. What should I do?

Last Updated: