Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Planning & Building : : Development Applications (DAs) : : Development Advice & Enquiries

Email Link   Development Advice & Enquiries

Book an appointment How to lodge a DA Buying and selling property

Planning and building processes are complex. This page will help you find the right advice and information for your development.

You may wish to engage the services of a professional consultant.

Search details of any property
in the Tweed

Property search

Track the progress of your Development Application

DA Tracker

Working with Council

Council is committed to planning for the future and making sure the Tweed remains a great place to live.

We assess applications against increasingly complex planning and building codes.

Checklists and guides

Use our range of checklists and guides when preparing your application.

Development Applications (DAs)

From 1 January 2021, most development applications and certificates must be lodged through the NSW Planning Portal.

Find out more

We recommend contacting us to discuss your plans before lodging a DA.

Our officers can explain Council's development and building process to you, including required documentation, forms and fees.

This advice is generally for smaller scale residential, commercial and industrial developments (such as building a new home, making renovations or remodelling a shop or cafe).

The more information you provide (such as plans and photos) the better we can assist you.

Before you lodge your DA

Talk to our team to find out about:

  • assessing development applications
  • strata certificate applications
  • searches for dwelling house entitlements and past development consents
  • processing certificates (such as Section 10.7)
  • monitoring compliance with development consent conditions

You can submit a joint DA and Construction Certificate application for most types of development. This saves you time and money. Ask our officers for more information.

Call us or make an appointment

Book a free appointment (30 minutes) with one of our officers to discuss your plans for a DA:

General DA enquiries

  • Dwelling houses
  • Associated pools, sheds and fences
  • Plumbing and drainage
  • Fire safety devices
  • Burning off vegetation
  • Food (retail, home base, food hygiene)
  • Rural farm structures
Book your appointment

Large or technical development

  • Subdivisions and change of use
  • New commercial (such as cafes)
  • Secondary dwellings and dual occupancy
  • Multi dwelling housing
  • Residential flat buildings
  • Boat ramps and pontoons
  • Home businesses
Book your appointment

Or call us on 02 6670 2400 during business hours.

Development Assessment Panel
(pre lodgement enquiries for larger, more complex developments)

For larger, more complex developments we strongly recommend using Council’s Development Assessment Panel. This service will provide you with more detailed technical advice before you lodge your Development Application.

Our panel of planning, building, engineering and environmental officers will advise you whether your proposal is generally permissible, and will identify key town planning, building or engineering issues you need to address.

For more information read the Development Assessment Panel Fact Sheet (314kB PDF)

To make an appointment, speak with the Chairperson of the panel by calling 02 6670 2400.

Once your appointment is confirmed, complete the Development Assessment Panel Meeting Form (180kB PDF). An appointment fee must be paid before you meet with the panel.

Other specialist pre-lodgement advice and services
(CDC's, Exempt and Complying Development)

Our officers may refer to specialists in other areas of council:

  • town planners
  • development engineers
  • building surveyors
  • environmental health officers
  • water and stormwater engineers
  • traffic engineers
  • environmental management officers

Our specialists will call you at another time if they’re not available during your pre-lodgement appointment.

Detailed pre-lodgement enquiries
Exempt and Complying Developments
Complying development certificates
Exempt and complying development proposals under the General Industrial and Commercial Code (such as change of use)


You may need the services of a private consultant for certification and expert advice. Select a category below and click go:

If you or your company would like to be included in the Consultants List, please Add a new Consultant
If you require amendments to an item, please click on the "Edit" button for the corresponding item in the list below.

Select a Category:

(You do not have to use a service provider on this list, it is a guide only. The list does not include all consultant businesses, please do your research.)


Did you find what you’re looking for? We’re working to improve our DA process and welcome your feedback.

Last Updated: