Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : My Property : : Rates and Charges : : Payment Options : : Pensioner Rebates

Email Link   Pensioner Rebates

If you hold a pensioner concession card or veterans affairs gold card (stamped with Total and Permanent Incapacitation (TPI) or Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)), and own and reside in the rated property, then you may be eligible for a rebate on your general rates, as well as your water, sewerage and domestic waste management charges.

This rebate may be automatically applied and will be reflected on your notice. Pensioner rebates are applied to rates and charges on eligible properties at the time of levying the rate in July of each year. Additional adjustments are processed throughout the year.

The full pensioner rebate (100% eligibility per annum) is $425.00. This includes a rebate off ordinary rates, charges and consumption and is broken down as follows:
  • An annual rebate of $250.00 off the ordinary rate is applied to residential or farmland rated properties (includes garbage charges).
  • Where service charges are applicable, a rebate of $87.50 is available off the sewer access charge.
  • Where service charges are applicable, a rebate of $87.50 is available off the water access charge.
  • As the full rebate of $87.50 is received off the water access charge, there is no longer a reduction available for water consumption.


To be eligible for a pension reduction on rates and water consumption charges:
  • The applicant must be the holder of a pensioner concession card or Department of Veteran's Affairs gold card (has to be stamped with TPI or EDA). Further criteria may apply for War Widows (Pension Concession card required - please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (external link) for Pension Card eligibility). Note: Seniors Card or Health Care Cards are not sufficient.
  • The applicant must be the owner, part owner or life tenant of the property (proof of life tenancy under a Will must be provided)
  • The property must be the applicant's principal place of residency as shown on their concession card.
  • The applicant must be living on the property prior to the commencement of the rate instalment or water billing period instalment periods fall as follows:
    • 1 July to 30 September
    • 1 October to 31 December
    • 1 January to 31 March
    • 1 April to 30 June
  • You can apply for a pensioner rebate online , or a personal application can be made at the Murwillumbah administration office, Tumbulgum Road, Murwillumbah or the Tweed Heads branch office, Brett Street, Tweed Heads during opening hours. The eligible concession card must be presented if you wish to apply in person as a copy will be taken by Council staff.
Eligible pensioner rebates can be backdated if applied for before close of business on 30 June of the current financial year. However as of 1 July for a new financial year, pensioner rebates are generally not backdated unless Council has made an error in the calculation.

If you are eligible and not already receiving the rebate, please apply online or visit council offices to complete an application form and present your pension/veterans card. Should there be a change in your pension or place of residence, please notify Council immediately. For enquiries regarding pensioner rebates, please contact Council on (02) 6670 2400 or 1300 292 872.
Last Updated: