Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +

Email Link   Starting Building Work

Council assessment What's next Checklist before starting

How does Council assess your application?

Men with laptop

Once lodged, your Construction Certificate application goes through an initial review and is assigned to a Building Surveyor.

Council then checks that your Construction Certificate application:

  • complies with the National Construction Code (NCC)
  • is consistent with the plans approved under the Development Consent
  • complies with the conditions of the Development Consent
  • complies with BASIX commitments and those commitments are shown on the submitted plans
  • complies with relevant bushfire provisions
  • complies with other Construction Certificate submission requirements
  • is consistent with the site conditions (site inspection to be carried out).

What happens next?

We'll be in touch if we need further information before a decision is made on your Construction Certificate. This may include:

You will be sent formal determination and a Construction Certificate in accordance with the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (as amended) together with stamped approved plans and specifications.

A Notice of Commencement form will be enclosed and is to be submitted to Council at least two (2) days prior to commencement of any building work.

A separate letter will be enclosed identifying required inspections, including Critical Stage inspections. If these Critical Stage inspections are not undertaken, the law prevents Council from issuing an occupation certificate.

Note: If the Development Consent expires, the Construction Certificate will also expire unless building work has been significantly progressed.

Checklist before starting work

  1. Make sure you have Development Consent and a Construction Certificate. Read the consent and comply with the relevant conditions.
  2. Make sure a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) has been appointed - this gives authority to carry out inspections and issue an Occupation Certificate. Note: Only Council is authorised to carry out plumbing and drainage inspections.
  3. Make sure your Notice to Start Work form has been submitted.
  4. Obtain all relevant permits and other approvals.
  5. Make sure that the required signage has been provided to identify the site, builder’s information, PCA, etc.
  6. Make sure that a builder’s toilet is available in accordance with SafeWork NSW requirements.
  7. Ensure all environment controls are in place e.g. sediment fence, hoardings, dust control. The environmental issues you must consider when demolishing, excavating or building are:
    • protecting heritage items and contributory buildings
    • occupational health and safety and public safety
    • good site management including waste management
    • preventing erosion and controlling sediments
    • limiting hours of work to mitigate noise impacts on neighbours
    • limiting hours of work to mitigate traffic and parking impacts on neighbours
    • timing deliveries to mitigate traffic and parking impacts on neighbours
    • provision for storage including chemical storage
    For more information, visit
  8. Make sure you've organised how to deal with construction waste, e.g. a tip.
  9. Notify your neighbours at least 2 days before you start work. If an excavation is proposed below the level of the footings of a building on an adjoining allotment, the notice must be given in writing to the owner at least seven (7) days before excavation begins.
Last Updated: