Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Our Community : : Traffic and Transport : : Roads and Bridges

Email Link   Roads and Bridges

Maintenance Road signs Road closures for events Roadside memorials Load limits Crown paper roads Street lights

Council owns most of the public roads and bridges in the Tweed.

Road closures

For road works and closures see:

For important traffic updates follow Council on Facebook and Twitter.

Council workers at roundabout

Pacific Motorway (M1)

The Pacific Motorway is owned by Transport for NSW. To report a problem with the road or bridges on the M1 call 131 700.

Repairs and maintenance

Traffic cone

Council's planned works are listed in our Delivery Plan 2017-21 (409kB PDF).

Roads and footpaths

Report a problem online or call 02 6670 2400

Request kerb and gutter or footpath for your street:

Email or write to us with your request. All requests are reviewed and may be scheduled based on priority and available funding.

  • email:
  • write to: The General Manager, Tweed Shire Council, PO Box 816, Murwillumbah NSW 2484

Request improvements to road or pedestrian safety in your street:

Written requests to improve road safety, traffic movement or parking restrictions should be sent to or call 02 6670 2400.

Loads limits on roads and bridges

Weight restriction signs are posted on some Tweed roads and bridges.

(Trucks are allowed on weight restricted roads for a specific purpose, such as delivering to a building site, where there is no other route. Drivers must be able to provide evidence of their purpose if stopped.)

Tweed roads are patrolled by contracted heavy vehicle regulators.

See Heavy vehicle road rules

Road Section Limit
Tweed Coast Road, Hastings Point to Wooyung 50m north of Creek Street, Hastings Point, to Tweed Valley Way at Wooyung 14.5-tonne gross load
Cudgen Road, Cudgen Traffic signals at the intersection of Tweed Coast Road to the intersection of Duranbah Road at Duranbah 14.5-tonne gross load
Clothiers Creek Road, Clothiers Creek Norths Lane to Condor Place, Clothiers Creek 14.5-tonne gross load
Crescent Street, Cudgen Altona Road to Cudgen Road 14.5-tonne gross load
Endeavour Parade, Tweed Heads Bay Street to Frances Street No buses or trucks between the hours of 7pm-7am
Moss Street, Kingscliff Marine Parade to Sutherland Street 5-tonne gross load (trucks only)
McPhail Avenue, Kingscliff Entire length 4.5-tonne gross load
Sutherland Street, Kingscliff Seaview Street to Cudgen Creek Bridge 4.5-tonne gross load
Farrants Road, Eviron Booths Road to Eviron Road More than 9 metre in length

Oil on the road

Call triple zero (000) FIRE to report oil spills.

Road signs and street names

Request replacement or repair of an existing sign:

Call 02 6670 2400 or report a problem.

Request a new road sign or to change an existing road sign:

  • email:
  • write to: The General Manager, Tweed Shire Council, PO Box 816, Murwillumbah NSW 2484

Also see Council's Naming of Streets and Roads Policy (84kB PDF).


Street lighting improves safety for pedestrians and drivers, and helps to secure buildings and facilities.

Streetlights in the Tweed are installed and maintained by Essential Energy, and paid for by Council.

Report a damaged or faulty streetlight: call Essential Energy on 13 20 80.

Request a change to a streetlight or additional street lighting:

  • email:
  • write to: The General Manager, Tweed Shire Council, PO Box 816, Murwillumbah NSW 2484

Temporary part road closures (hoardings)

A temporary or partial road closure approval is needed for works in road reserve, including:

  • approved traffic control
  • placing skip bins or shipping containers
  • putting up construction fences (hoardings)
  • carrying out works from the footpath
  • traffic and parking lane closures

Approval is required before any works start.

How to apply: Fill in the application form (74kB PDF) and pay the fee.

Fees are based on the type and length of the closure or hoardings.

Road closure requests for events

Event organisers seeking a road closure need to contact Council's Engineering division well before the proposed event. A minimum of 6 months' notice is required for some events.

A Traffic Management Plan will need to be provided by the event organiser.

How to stage an event on a road: see Event management guidelines

Road closures and purchase by the public

Landowners next to Council public roads may apply to close or purchase an unnecessary Council public road.

Council will consider public road closure where:

  • private structures have been built on part of the road
  • the road is can be shown as redundant
  • topographical constraints argue strongly for a more logical boundary line or access corridor

See Road Closures and Private Purchase Policy (57kB PDF)

Public access rights

Any member of the public has the right to travel on a public road, on foot or in a vehicle, and to drive stock or other animals.

Gates can only be placed on a public road with Council approval.

Crown paper roads

Crown paper roads are part of the state's public road network and are owned by the NSW Government.

Crown paper roads are generally unformed road reserves that are part of a property boundary or are contained within a rural land parcel.

Rural landowners can 'enclose' all or part of a Crown paper road by securing an enclosure permit over the road reserve, which allows them to fence it and use it for grazing purposes.

Sometimes Crown paper roads are formed and maintained by private landowners to provide access to rural properties.

Crown paper roads can be purchased and closed, apply to the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.

Murwillumbah bridge opening 1968
Crowd at opening of Murwillumbah Bridge, October 1968.
(NSW Department of Main Roads)
Click to view


Council is responsible 152 traffic bridges and another 154 major culverts and causeways.

Transport for NSW is responsible for Boyds Bay Bridge, Murwillumbah Bridge, Korns Bridge and all the bridges on the Pacific Motorway.

Roadside tributes and memorials

Council understands that families of people lost in road crashes may want to place a tribute or memorial at the roadside.

We're sympathetic to these requests and allow a floral tribute or small lightweight wooden cross (of similar size to a floral tribute) to be placed off the roadway and within the road reserve at an individual's discretion.

While there is no limit to the time a tribute can remain on a Council road, tributes that appear neglected may be removed.

See our Roadside Tributes Policy (45kB PDF) or call 02 6670 2400 for more information.

Also see

Last Updated: