Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Our Community : : Parks, Gardens and Reserves : : Commercial Recreation Activities on Public Open Space

Email Link   Commercial Recreation Activities on Public Open Space

Personal Trainers, Bootcamps and Team Building Activities

A licensing system has been introduced for personal trainers, bootcamps and team building activity providers who use public land, including parks, beaches, reserves and sport fields managed by Tweed Shire Council. This follows adoption of Council's Commercial Recreation Activities on Public Open Space Policy.

Licences apply to commercial exercise or team building activities. Not for profit groups, sporting clubs and the like are not required to obtain a licence.

  • Commercial group training, exercise and team building organisers with more than 5 in a group are required to hold a licence.

  • Commercial group training, exercise and team building operators with 5 or less people in a group are not required to obtain a licence. They must however abide by the same operating guidelines as described below.

To apply for a licence complete and submit the application form Commercial Recreation Activities on Public Open Space - Licence Application (173kB PDF)

The licence is per trainer not per business. Although a business can apply for several licences, additional trainers require an additional licence and associated fee as "The licensee must only train one group at a time. Multiple groups may not operate under the same licence". This means that a licence does not allow a licensee with staff multiple classes at the same time for the one licence.

If a class has an instructor, that instructor requires a licence. If there is a trainer assisting the instructor then the assistant trainer is a part of the class numbers. If there are multiple instructors each with individual groups than a licence is required per instructor for each group.

This is so that the usage of Public Open Space is used in accordance with the reserve purpose and is considered to be of minimal impact and to avoid disparity between individual personal trainers and larger commercial groups while not overwhelming the use of Public Open Space for the general public.

Licences will be issued on either an annual or weekly basis, and the fees reflect the frequency of the activity. Check for current Fees and Charges

  • Annual fee:

o High frequency (over 3 days per week or 10 hours per week)

o Low frequency (3 or less days per week or under 10 hours per week)

  • Weekly (Short-term)

o For activities occurring for one week or less

Licences for personal trainers and similar activities will not specify locations to operate. Rather, Guidelines for Personal Trainers, Bootcamps and Team Building Activities (38kB PDF) are provided to ensure activities have minimal impact on the environment, neighbours and other park users. Activities must not occur:

  • within 50 metres of residential housing or tourist and visitor accommodation unless exceptional circumstances apply

  • within 10 metres of playgrounds or park equipment such as shelter sheds

  • within 100 metres of flagged areas on a beach

  • in ecologically sensitive locations such as natural coastal areas and sand dunes

Commercial Recreation Activities on Public Open Space Policy

Council's Commercial Recreation Activities on Public Open Space Policy applies to all public open space under Council management including:

  • Crown Reserves under the trusteeship or control of Council
  • Council-owned community and operational land
  • Council roads

The Policy aims to:

  1. Determine the commercial recreation activities suitable for beaches, parks and other public places administered by Council and provide an effective, transparent and equitable framework for their management
  2. Ensure equitable and sustainable use of beaches, parks and other public places for the physical, social and cultural wellbeing of the Tweed community
  3. Ensure all activities on public open space are in keeping with the intended use of the space
  4. Protect the natural and physical assets of public open space in Tweed Shire
  5. Protect existing and proposed infrastructure on public open space
  6. Protect the safety of all users of public open space

Council may grant a licence for:

  • Organised fitness activities – personal trainers, sporting coaches, water-based activities on adjoining water bodies, cycling, and associated equipment hire
  • Outdoor tourist activities - eco-tours, fishing competitions
  • Other commercial recreation activities – established activities, such as a circus or music festival, which have identifiable community benefits and which require the use of an extensive area

Under the Policy, certain uses such as small-scale activities, passive recreation, tour groups stopping for lunch and training for not-for-profit organisations are not be required to obtain a licence.

The policy does not address commercial activities such as mobile food vending, footpath dining, kiosks or similar on public open space.

For further information please contact Council's Open Space Officer on (02) 6670 2400 or 1300 292 872.

Surf Schools

As a commercial activity, Surf School operators require a licence for areas zoned RE1 Public Recreation. All other beach and surrounding areas that are not zoned RE1 will require a Development Application to be lodged with Council's Development Assessment Unit. Areas zoned RE1 can be viewed on the Beaches Zoned RE1 (1.9mB PDF).

Applications for a surf school licence is required by 1 July each year as the licence season commences on 1 September of each year. There are two (2) licence options available being either a 12 month (annual) licence or an 8 month (summer) licence.

There is a weekly fee to operate a surf school which requires advanced monthly payments. Refer to Council's Fees and Charges.

Requirements to operate a surf school must hold current and maintain:

  • Public Liability Insurance policy for a minimum of $20,000,000;

  • One of either:

o Surf Rescue Certificate (SLSA Community Award),

o Bronze Medallion (SLSA proficient annually),

o Ocean Rescue Award (RLSS proficient annually); and

  • Senior First Aid Certificate;

  • Advanced Resuscitation Certificate;
  • Either:

o Level 1 Surfriding Coaching Accreditation (Australian Coaching Council), or

o Vocational Education and Training Employment Commission Adventure Training Instruction Course (ATIC) including Adventure Training - 5 Surfing Techniques (ATST).

*If the insurance or a qualification expires during a licenced period then a copy of the renewed certificate/s will be required to ensure the licence remains valid.

To apply for a licence, complete the Surf School Use of Tweed Shire Beaches (107kB PDF) application form. The application lists all of the operational requirements which will be assessed upon submission. Be sure to attach a copy of certificate of currency for public liability and all requested qualifications. Applications will not be assessed without these.

For further information please contact Council's Open Space Officer on (02) 6670 2400 or 1300 292 872.

Non Motorised Water Recreation Businesses

Council resolved on 9 April 2015 to adopt the Draft Policy for Non Motorised Water Recreation Businesses and the interpretation of the Tweed Local Environmental Plan 2014 and the Tweed City Centre Local Environmental Plan 2012.

The draft Policy was publicly exhibited 14 January 2015 - 11 February 2015.

What is the objective of the Policy?

The new policy explains when a non motorised water recreation business needs development consent from Council.

The areas it covers are:

  • The interpretation of development regarding non motorised water recreation businesses
  • Thresholds for triggering the need for development consent to be obtained for non motorised recreation businesses.

Need further information?

Contact Council's Development Assessment Unit on (02) 6670 2400 or 1300 292 872.

Last Updated: