Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Planning & Building : : Planning and Regulation

Email Link   Planning and Regulation

The Planning and Regulation Division provides town planning and development services throughout the Shire at both a planning reform and development approval level in accordance with Council and State policies and statutes.

Buildling and Environmental Health Unit

The Building and Construction and Environmental Health Unit is responsible for the provision of environmental health services to Council so as to meet councils statutory requirements and community needs to ensure public health, safety and amenity. The unit is also responsible for the certification of buildings, the inspection of buildings, the assessment and approval of development applications for dwelling houses and associated structures within the shire and the regulating and inspection of plumbing and drainage works on private lands.

Other primary functions and responsibilities of the Unit include pursuing many of Council’s legislative responsibilities, which cover the protection of public domain, public health, public safety, illegal building works, stormwater drainage issues on private lands, onsite sewage management, food regulation which includes the inspection of food premises, certification of buildings and other structures, fire safety and fire safety upgrades of existing buildings, the licensing of premises for various uses, licensing of caravan parks, licensing of footpath dinning and the enforcement of various provisions under the Local Government Act, Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, Swimming Pools Act, Public Health Act, Food Act and the Protection of Environment Operations Act.

Development Assessment Unit

The development assessment function is one of the main functions within the Planning and Development Division and includes the process and assessment of development applications promptly and efficiently and in accordance with relevant legislation - thereby achieving quality outcomes from the resultant development and land use decisions.

See Development Assessment Unit

Development Engineering Unit

The Development Engineering Unit provides technical engineering reports, engineering conditions, project management and quality control of newly constructed public infrastructure for a range of developments including subdivisions, multi dwelling developments, commercial, industrial and Part 3A – Major projects.

Construction Certificates

The Unit is responsible for the assessment and approval of Construction Certificates for all infrastructure associated with subdivision and public infrastructure associated with non subdivisions. The services provided by the Unit in relation to Construction Certificates include;

  • Assessment and approval of Construction Certificates for all subdivisions and other developments where public infrastructure is created.
  • Subsequent approval of road pavement designs.
  • Review of electricity authority servicing plans.
  • Inspections of all newly constructed public infrastructure such as public roads, storm water drainage, sewer reticulation and water reticulation.
  • Final acceptance of the completed infrastructure on behalf of Council
  • Resolution of complaints associated with construction such as noise, dust, erosion control, hours of operation and safety issues
Subdivision Certificates

In addition to the management of Construction Certificates the Development Engineering Unit is responsible for the assessment of Subdivision Certificates. The services provided by the Unit in relation to Subdivision Certificates include;

  • Review and approval of Work as Executed drawings.
  • Responsible for ensuring that all conditions of consent (both engineering and non engineering) have been satisfied.
  • Responsible for ensuring that all S94 and S64 contribution have been correctly paid.
  • Responsible for ensuring that correct bank guarantees and cash securities required for defects liability periods are lodged.
  • Review/amend subdivision plans and 88B Instruments.
  • Responsible for the final signature under delegation of the Plan of Subdivision which is necessary to allow release of the plan and subsequent creation of title.
  • Disseminate relevant information to other Council Officers such as WAX plans, SSM, CCTV for storm water and sewer, asset creation and management plans.
  • Responsible for ‘off defects inspections’ of the public infrastructure created.
  • Management of bank guarantees and cash securities including authorisation for the release of these securities.

Strategic Planning and Urban Design

The planning reform function provides a major part of the planning policy framework for the Tweed including other divisions of Council It is responsible for finding a balance between social, environmental and economic aspects of urban development and also in the built environment. Work is involved with projects from within Council and also from developers, landowners and different government agencies.


The Compliance Unit comprises a number of functions carried out by its Rangers, Parking Officers and Compliance Officers.

Tweed Shire Council’s Rangers are on duty 7 days a week between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm. Rangers are clearly identified by their uniform and the vehicles they drive and they also carry photo identification.

The Rangers can be contacted from Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm on (02) 6670 2400. Rangers cannot be contacted directly on the weekend however for urgent matters (eg dog attack) please call the Emergency After Hours service on 1800 818 326.

The principal purposes of enforcement undertaken by Tweed Shire Rangers are to:

  • Assist in ensuring the safety of the public
  • Ensure the equitable use of the public open space
  • Ensure the protection of our environment
  • Provide a general service to the community

Rangers and Parking Officers are involved in a wide range of regulatory issues including:

  • Camping in non designated camping areas
  • Domestic animal related issues such as dog attacks, barking and straying dogs
  • Dumping of rubbish and littering
  • Management of Councils Dog and Cat impounding facility
  • Overgrown land own privately owned properties
  • Parking offences and Abandoned Vehicles
  • Roaming livestock
  • Unapproved beach access by vehicles

Compliance Officers specifically respond to:

  • Complaints alleging unauthorised land use, construction or any other activity on private properties that would ordinarily require Council development approval or certification.

Council enforces a range of legislation requirements including:

Impounding Act
  • Abandoned Vehicles/Articles – Any vehicle article that is abandoned or left unattended in a public place.
  • Roaming Livestock – Any livestock that roams onto a public place or private property.
  • Protection of the Environment Operations Act
  • Illegal Dumping of Materials – includes the depositing, but is not limited to garden refuse, household waste, commercial waste and building materials in or on a public place or an open private place.
  • Deposit of Litter from a vehicle - includes material from a trailer that is attached to a motor vehicle.
  • Offences associated with various types of pollution.

Companion Animals Act
  • Compulsory Identification and Registration of Companion Animals
  • Responsibilities of Owners of Dogs
  • Responsibilities of Owners of Cats
  • Responsibilities of Owners of Dangerous Dogs
  • Responsibilities of Owners of Restricted Dog Breeds

Local Government Act
  • Overgrown Land on Privately Owned Properties.
  • Illegal Camping – Camping or staying overnight in an area other then designated caravan parks or camping grounds
  • Failing to Comply with Notices in a Public Place, including;
  • Beach Vehicle Access - The unauthorised use of a vehicle not approved under Councils Beach Vehicle Permit system
  • Activities prohibited by signage in any Park or Reserve.

Environmental Planning and Assessment Act
  • Illegal Roadside Stalls.
  • Illegal signage - The placing of any sign in a public place that may obstruct or impede vehicle or pedestrian movement and/or does not comply with Councils signs policy.
  • Illegal Land use - The unauthorised use of land by undertaking an activity on public or private property that is not approved by Council.
  • Illegal Land Clearing - The unauthorised removal of flora from a private or public place.
  • Illegal building works.
  • Unauthorised building use.

Road Rules
  • The parking of motor vehicles in accordance with current legislation.
Last Updated: