Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : My Property : : Pets and Livestock

Email Link   Pets and Livestock

Updated information July 2020: Continuing Temporary Arrangements for the Tweed Pound

On Wednesday 25 September 2019, Council previously closed the existing pound location to accommodate the expansion of the Waste and Resource Recovery Centre at Stotts Creek, with plans underway to construct a new, permanent, best practice Pound and Rehoming Centre for opening in 2022.

Some revised temporary arrangements have been made to ensure our lost and impounded animals are kept safe and well cared for.

For more information, visit the Tweed Pound page.

Pound temporary arrangements - July 2020

Your Responsibilities as a Pet Owner

Rehomed dog

Council's Responsible Dog and Cat Ownership Brochure (231kB PDF) offers useful information and guidelines for pet owners. Find out more about Cats and Dogs.

Pet tags

Dogs and cats must wear a tag that states name, address and phone number or any combination of the three.


It is a requirement that dogs and cats are registered by 6 months of age. Visit Microchipping and Pet Registration for more information. You may also register your dog or cat online at


In NSW, cats (born after July 1999) and all dogs must be permanently identified with a microchip by 12 weeks of age or at point of sale or change of ownership, (which ever occurs first). Visit OLG Website (external link) to find out more about microchipping. For more information see Microchipping and Pet Registration.

Updating details on NSW Companion Animal Register (NSW Pet Registry)

Details of dogs and cats that are entered onto the NSW Companion Animal Register (Pet Registry) are required to be kept up to date. It is the owners responsiblity to update any change of contact details including phone numbers, address, email address or a change in ownership. The owner is also required to advise Council if the animal is deceased using the Deceased Animal Notification (98kB PDF)

Impounding Companion Animals

In accordance with the Companion Animals Act 1998 authorised Council officers may seize a companion animal, namely a dog or cat, if the animal is found wandering unleashed in a public place.

If an animal that has been seized has a micro-chip or a tag with a name, address or phone number then the owner will initially receive a phone call regarding the impounding, and if no contact is made, it will be followed up by way of written notification. For further information please visit the Tweed Pound page.

Who can I contact if I am concerned about the welfare of an animal?

Please contact the RSPCA Cruelty Hotline on 1300 278 358 or (02) 9770 7555, to report any animal welfare concerns.

Who do I report Dingo sightings to?

Please report dingo sightings in National Parks to National Parks and Wildlife Service on (02) 6670 8600. Dingo sightings on any other land should be reported to North Coast Local Land Services on 1300 795 299 or (02) 6621 2317.

Last Updated: