Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : My Property : : My Water and Wastewater

Email Link   My Water and Wastewater

Tweed Shire Council is responsible for delivering safe and reliable water and wastewater services to the residents and businesses of the Tweed. In providing these services, Council aims to:
  • Meet health and environmental requirements
  • Manage sustainability of the Tweed’s precious water resources
  • Plan, design, construct, operate and maintain water and wastewater supply systems
  • Build on water and wastewater capacity to meet future demand
  • Meet community expectations

My Responsibilities

Both Council and property owners have responsibilities for the continuous operation and maintenance of water and wastewater supply systems.
My water responsibilities web graphic

The following is provided as a guide.

Property owners are responsible for:

All internal pipes and fittings that fall within their property boundary, including rainwater tanks and internal sewer drainage.

Ensuring that water meters and inspection shafts are clear of plants, insects, soil etc.

Maintaining your property’s stormwater connections to ensure stormwater does not enter the sewerage network (1.22mB PDF).

Council is not responsible for unblocking your sewer drains. However, because of the potential risk to health posed by a sewer blockage or other wastewater issues, you should call Council first as they will be able to advise you if you need to contact your local plumber.

Ensuring any easement on their property or near their property is accessible to Council at all times. See Easements and Building Adjacent to Sewers.

Understanding the relevant Offences and Penalties relating to water and wastewater, including what can and cannot be discharged into the wastewater system. See Sewer Blockages, Overflows and Odours and Liquid Trade Waste.

If you have a sewer ejection pump station on your property, refer to our fact sheet (196kB PDF) on these to understand responsibilities.

Council is responsible for:

All water supply infrastructure up to and including your water meter (eg water treatment plants, water mains etc)

All wastewater infrastructure downstream from the sewer inspection shaft (shown on diagram above) on private properties (eg treatment plants, manholes, sewage mains etc)

Managing all connections and disconnections to water and wastewater services.

Last Updated: