Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : My Property : : Pets and Livestock : : Livestock

Email Link   Livestock

Animals (including livestock) on private land

Section 12 of the Impounding Act 1993 allows the occupier of private land to impound any animal that is trespassing on their land. There are a number of important steps that must be taken in the event an animal is impounded on private land.

Action to be taken when the identity of the animal is known

The occupier of land that has impounded an animal must make all reasonable attempts to contact the owner of the animal within 24 hours of impounding and must then either:

  • have the animal conveyed to the nearest pound by contacting Council on (02) 6670 2400, or
  • keep the animal on the land in which it was impounded for a period no longer than 4 days (unless claimed by its owner) and then have the animal conveyed to the nearest pound by contacting Council on (02) 6670 2400.

Any person that impounds an animal on their land has a number of statutory obligations under the Impounding Act 1993 including:

  • provide the animal with adequate food, water and veterinary care
  • ensure the animal is kept in a place that is well drained and maintained in a clean condition
  • ensure the animal is provided with adequate shade for the climatic conditions
  • ensure the animal is kept secure
  • ensure the animal is separated from other animals that are diseased or, if the animal is or appears to be diseased, is kept separate from other animals.

Action to be taken when the identity of the animal is not known

The occupier of land that has impounded an animal must have the animal conveyed to the nearest pound within 48 hours of impounding by contacting Council on (02) 6670 2400.

Animals (including livestock) in a public place

An impounding officer (Council Ranger) may impound an animal that is in a public place within the Tweed Shire if the officer believes on reasonable grounds that the animal is unattended.

An animal is not to be regarded as being unattended for the purposes of this section in the following circumstances:

  • while the animal is in a public place in response to an invitation contained in a notice published by the relevant public authority and in accordance with any conditions specified in that notice
  • while the animal is in a public place with the consent of the relevant public authority
  • while the animal is in a public place and its presence there is authorised by or under an Act
  • in the case of an animal that is stock (as defined in Part 10 of the NSW Biosecurity Act 2015 (previously Rural Lands Protection Act) (external link) that is unattended on a road or travelling stock reserve, in any circumstances prescribed by section 138 of that Act.

Animals (including livestock) on a motorway

For livestock on a highway or motorway please contact RMS on (02) 6686 1800 during business hours or 131 700 after hours or on weekends.

Impounded livestock

The Impounding Act allows straying livestock to be impounded by Council officers, and owners or occupiers of land that have livestock stray onto their property. Council officers may impound any animals they believe to be abandoned or left unattended.

The following description outlines what occurs if livestock has been impounded. If your livestock has a tag – or microchipped then you will receive written notice that your animal has been impounded at the Council Pound. This facility is not open to the public and unidentified animals will be kept for only 14 days. There will be a notice advertised in Council’s newsletter the Tweed Link that livestock have been impounded.

In accordance with Council's Fees and Charges there are costs associated with the release of any livestock. Call Council on (02) 6670 2400 for information on impounded livestock.

Livestock movements in NSW

For more information visit (external link)

Cattle Tick Spray Yards location

Miles Street, Kirra QLD 4225
PO Box 6545, Tweed Heads South NSW 2486
Phone: (07) 5536 4714
Fax: (07) 5536 1290

Local Land Services (previously known as Rural Land Protection Board and Livestock Health and Pest Authority)

The Rural Lands Protection Board is now called Local Land Services (external link). Local Land Services work collaboratively with rural producers, government and industry to safeguard agriculture in NSW. Fourteen authorities provide the frontline animal health service in NSW. Their core areas of responsibility are animal health, pest animal and insect control and travelling stock reserves.

Local Land Services assists producers in ensuring they have correctly identified their livestock and that stock movement is carried out in accordance with requirements. They also assist with drought and natural disaster relief. The Rural Lands Protection Act 1998 constitutes each of the state’s 14 LHPAs and their governing body, the State Management Council, as bodies corporate. The State Management Council is responsible to the Minister for Primary Industries.

Visit their website at (external link). The Lismore district main office contact details are:

79 Conway Street, Lismore NSW 2480
PO Box 16, Lismore NSW 2480
Phone: (02) 6621 2317
Fax: (02) 6621 2928

Cattle saleyards

All contact regarding the saleyards should be directed to:

Mr Darren Perkins
George and Furmann
(02) 6662 2500

Last Updated: