Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : My Property : : Rates and Charges : : My Rates Notice : : Land Valuations

Email Link   Land Valuations

How is my land valuation determined?

The NSW Valuation of Land Act requires the NSW Land and Property Information (formerly known as the Valuer General) to advise Council of property valuations every three years. Current property values are based as of July 2017, the next valuation will be in 2020.

The NSW Land and Property Information determines the value of unimproved land by investigating the sale prices of similar parcels of land taking into account the land’s location, most valuable use, topography and land features, nearby development and infrastructure, or constraints such as zoning and heritage restrictions.

Customer who have questions or concerns about their land value or the valuation system should contact the Valuations Customer Service Team at or call 1800 110 038.

To find out more about land tax, visit (external link) or call toll free on 1300 139 816.

Land values and rates calculation

Appeals against land valuations

Any objections or appeals regarding the valuation of the land value must be directed to the Valuer General's Office at (external link) or 1800 110 038 for a review kit that will help with lodgment of objections. Whether or not an objection is pending, the rates levied must be paid by the due date indicated on the front of your Rate Notice.

Land exempt from rates

Certain land is exempt from rating (referred to as Non-Rateable Land). In order to be eligible for exemption from rating (Non-Rateable Land) your parcel of land must be one of the following categories, as stipulated in the Local Government Act, 1993. They include:

  • churches
  • Ministers' residences
  • schools
  • public Land
  • hospitals
  • land owned and used by public charities and certain other land as provided in the provisions of the Section 555 of the Local Government Act, 1993.
You may apply to have your property exempt from rating, or appeal Council's decision, in the Land and Environment Court.

Further information regarding non-rateable land may be obtained from Council on (02) 6670 2400 or 1300 292 872.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will Council get more rates when the valuations rise?

Can Council change the name on my rates notice?

Last Updated: