Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Our Community : : Public Health and Behaviour : : Fireworks Displays

Email Link   Fireworks Displays

SafeWork NSW regulates and approves fireworks displays under the Explosives Regulation 2013. Applicants must obtain a pyrotechnicians licence or a fireworks (single use) licence. Further information can be found at the SafeWork NSW website (external link) or by calling 13 10 50.


When planning a fireworks display, the licence holder is required to notify the following authorities and/or agencies in writing:

  • SafeWork NSW – at least seven (7) working days prior to the display;
  • Council – at least seven (7) working days prior to the display;
  • Local Area Commander of Police and/or local NSW Police – at least two working days prior to the display;
  • NSW Fire and Rescue and/or NSW Rural Fire Service – at least two working days prior to the display; and
  • Other agencies where applicable – at least two working days prior to the display or in accordance with the requirements of the agency concerned. Agencies may include:
    • NSW Water Police;
    • NSW Roads and Maritime Services (RMS); and
    • Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and Airservices Australia.

Other than SafeWork NSW, these authorities have no power to approve the use of fireworks however may object to or impose conditions on an applicant’s use of fireworks by informing the pyrotechnician and SafeWork NSW of the decision at least two (2) business days prior to the display.

It is a condition of the licence that notified fireworks displays must not proceed if any of the authorities specified above raise objections to the event and the licensee has not been able to resolve those objections with the relevant authority.

Council Notification Requirements

SafeWork NSW have developed Guidelines for Council when notification of an intention to use fireworks is received (external link) to provide councils with a standard framework when deciding whether to raise objection.

When submitting a fireworks display notification to Council, please allow at least seven (7) working days prior to the display and include the following information:

  1. Reason for the fireworks display including any associated event/activity at the premises;
  2. Proposed location of the display including site plan;
  3. The date, time, and duration of the display;
  4. Types of fireworks that are to be used in the display;
  5. Written approval of the land owner to hold a display;
  6. A completed SafeWork NSW Fireworks Display Checklist (external link) ; and
  7. A completed SafeWork NSW Notification of Pyrotechnics/Fireworks Display (external link) (where applicable).

Where valid complaints are received in relation to the fireworks display, Council may raise objection to similar events in the future.

Complaints and Approved Fireworks Displays

Complaints regarding fireworks displays should be directed to SafeWork NSW on 13 10 50. A list of approved fireworks are available on the SafeWork NSW website (external link).

Who to contact

Where the firework display is associated with an event, the event may require development consent from Council. Further information regarding development applications may be obtained from Council’s Development Assessment and Compliance Unit on (02) 6670 2400.

Council’s Environmental Health Unit assess firework display notifications in terms of impact on amenity and the environment. For further information please call (02) 6670 2400.

    Last Updated: