Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : My Property : : Neighbours and Property Issues : : Lighting Fires and Permits

Email Link   Lighting Fires and Permits

Visit Council's Emergency Dashboard (external link) for links, useful information and contacts in an emergency. Please note, Council is not the main authority in emergencies.

Bush Fire Danger Period

The Bush Fire Danger Period normally commences on 1 September for Tweed Shire, and runs through to 31 March each year. Weather conditions and other factors may also impact this.

Find out more about Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans by visiting the NSW Rural Fire Service website (external link).

Backyard burning

If you are planning to light a fire on your property, you will need to contact the following agencies to ensure you meet the NSW requirements:

  • Tweed Shire Council
  • Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) or the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) (depending on where you live).

When can fires be lit outside?

In the Tweed you are not permitted to light a fire, unless you:

  • are lighting a fire for cooking or recreation (e.g. camping)
  • are burning vegetation for agricultural purposes (e.g. cane burning)
  • are conducting bushfire hazard reduction work under the Rural Fires Act 1997 (NSW) (i.e. hazard reduction work with a hazard reduction certificate issued by the Rural Fire Service)
  • are burning dead and dry vegetation and hold an approval from Council and FRNSW or RFS.

Each person in NSW is responsible in minimising air pollution. If you meet the exemptions above and you are planning a fire, talk to your neighbours first to ensure they will not be impacted (at least 24 hours’ notice is required). See the Lighting a fire - Quick Facts (external link) document for further information.

When do I need to apply for approval and permits to burn through Council?

Council’s burning approval is only for the purpose of disposal of dead and dry vegetative material through pile burning. Vegetative material must consist only of that which accumulates on the prescribed parcel of land during the normal use of the land.

  1. Consider your other alternatives, like taking green waste to the tip.
  2. Check if you are in a FRNSW or RFS area.
  3. Contact your areas local station (external link) and see if you need a fire permit (external link) , you will need one all year round if you are in a FRNSW area.
  4. Contact Council’s Environmental Health Unit on 02 6670 2400 to discuss if an Application to Burn Vegetation (192kB PDF) is required. If so email the completed form to and pay the relevant Fees and Charges.

Important facts

Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact if I see fire?

Can I light a fire on council land? (Beaches, Reserves, and Parks)

I have a lot of green waste, can I burn it?

I have a fire pit in my backyard, can I use it?

Can I have a backyard fire for cooking purposes?

Last Updated: