Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +

Email Link   Disposal of Fill

Council often has surplus soil fill material resulting from routine road and drainage works throughout the Shire. This fill may be able to be used by landowners close to the works rather than haulage to more distant sites for disposal.

Development Approval

ln most cases the filling of land requires development consent from Council. Landowners seeking to accept fill onto their land will be responsible for obtaining consent prior to the delivery of any material from Council works, however this is not necessarily a complex or expensive process depending on the volume of fill and the proposed location.

It is recommended that landowners contact Council's Development Assessment Unit Duty Planner on 02 6670 2400 to discuss the requirements for obtaining consent.

Availability of Fill

Works that produce excess fill material generally fall into two categories:
  1. Routine maintenance works - relatively small quantities of fill throughout the Shire on a regular basis.
  2. Construction works - relatively large quantities of fill but at specific locations and times. When fill from either source becomes available, landowners in the vicinity who have registered their interest in receiving fill will be contacted to confirm details of deliveries (if required).
Where more than one site is available to accept fill, Council reserves the right to determine the quantity to be delivered to each site, but generally this will be on the basis of an equal proportion to each site.

Cost of Fill

Provided the cost of delivery of the fill to landowners' sites is less than the cost of disposal at Council sites, then the fill will be provided at no cost to the landowner. lf the cost of delivery of the fill to landowners' sites is greater than the cost of disposal at Council sites, fill can still be supplied if the landowner is prepared to pay the difference in the above costs.

Access to Fill Sites

It is the responsibility of the landowner to provide access to any fill site suitable for normal tipper trucks. Any damage to internal access roads is the responsibility of the landowner.

Spreading of Fill

Council will deliver the fill to the designated fill site. lt is the responsibility of the landowner to arrange for its placement, spreading and compaction as required by the landowner.

How to Register Your lnterest in Obtaining Fill

More information and an application form are available at Expressions of Interest Disposal of Fill (184kB PDF). To commence the registration process complete the form and return it to Council by post addressed as follows:

The General Manager
Tweed Shire Council
PO Box 816

Alternatively email to

You will be advised in writing that your form has been received and whether any further approvals are required.

Last Updated: