Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the facts from the NSW Government. View Council's response to COVID-19 and the impact to services and facilities.
Aboriginal Acknowledgement A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : Environment : : Bush Fires and Permits

Email Link   Bush Fires and Permits


Council has a statutory obligations under the Rural Fires Act 1997 (the Act) to manage land under its control in a manner that reduces the risk of fire escaping its boundaries.

Council also has a responsibility to inform landholders of their land management responsibilities under the Act and this is undertaken in cooperation with local NSW RFS officers.

Other bushfire risk management undertaken by Council includes:

Management of Asset Protection Zones

A network of Asset Protection Zones (APZs) is maintained by Council to provide a reduced fuel zone adjacent to assets (people, property and the environment) to reduce the potential impact of bushfire and provide a defendable space for fire-fighters and their vehicles.

The majority of APZs are situated on the Tweed Coast often between residential housing estates and areas of Council managed bushland. APZs are inspected annually prior to commencement of the Bushfire Danger Period, on 1 September and runs to 31 March each year, to ensure their ongoing compliance

Council also has an obligation to report its hazard reduction works in the NSW Rural Fire Service (external link) (RFS) Bush Fire Risk Management Plans (external link) database.

Bush Fire Risk Management

A Bush Fire Risk Management Plan 2016 (BFRMP) has been prepared for Tweed Shire which includes Byron Shire and Ballina Shire LGA's this Plan replaces the previous one (2010).

Under the Rural Fires Act 1997 (external link) the Bush Fire Coordinating Committee (BFCC) must constitute a Bush Fire Management Committee (BFMC) for each area in the State, which is subject to the risk of bush fire. Each BFMC is required to prepare and submit to the BFCC a BFRMP every five years.

A BFRMP is a strategic document that identifies community assets at risk and sets out a five-year program of coordinated multi-agency treatments to reduce the risk of bush fire to the assets. Treatments may include such things as hazard reduction burning, grazing, community education, fire trail maintenance and establishing community fireguard groups.

Implementation of the BFRMP 2016, prepared by the Far North Coast BFMC, is the responsibility of the owners or occupiers (land managers) of the land on which the bush fire risk is situated. The Rural Fires Act 1997 imposes this responsibility on both public and private land managers.

Links are provided below to the 2016 Plan and Map series:

Far North Coast Bush Fire Risk Management Plan 2016 (1.36mB PDF)

Map 1 NorthEast Tweed (3.46mB PDF)

Map 2 Central Tweed Coast (3.5mB PDF)

Map 3 Central Tweed (3.24mB PDF)

Map 4 Western Tweed (3.19mB PDF)

Map 5 North Byron_South East Tweed (3.46mB PDF)

Map 6 Central Byron Shire (3.42mB PDF)

Map 7 Byron Bay Hinterland (3.13mB PDF)

Map 8 Ballina Coast_Hinterland (2.96mB PDF)

For more information please contact the NSW Rural Fire Service Tweed Fire Control Centre (Wardrop Valley Road) on (02) 6671 5500.

Planned Hazard Reduction Burns

Bush Fire.
NOTE: Hazard reduction burns within urban or semi-urban areas require an approval that addresses smoke; in certain circumstances a hazard reduction approval that addresses smoke may be issued to landholders by the NSW Rural Fire Service. Outside these circumstances, Council has adopted a policy to not approve HR burns in these areas, in part to ensure compliance with the Protection of the Environment Operations (Clean Air) Regulations 2002 (POEO Regs 2002). This policy operates to avoid any potential smoke hazard that may compromise air quality or human health or amenity. Any hazard reduction approval issued in these areas by either the NSW RFS overrides Councils obligations to the PoEO Regs 2002. In either case the NWS RFS and Council have a preference that vegetative waste in these areas be mulched onsite or transported to the nearest Waste Depot or residents can choose to utilise Council's Green Waste collection service. For further information please contact Council Environment and Health Officers.
Last Updated: