Private bus Companies operate the bus public transport system in the Tweed. For timetables and fare information see please contact the operators.
- Surfside Bus Lines 07 5536 7666
- Parsons Bus Services 02 6672 2353
- Murwillumbah Bus Company 02 6672 6222
- Singh's Bus Services 02 6672 7464
- Premier Motor Service 13 34 10
- Gosel's Bus Services 0427 149 689
To view information regarding all bus operators and route numbers, as well as a colour-coded 'map' that shows each bus service and how they inter-connect, interchanges and taxi services, please download the Public Transport Information Brochure 2016 (578kB PDF)
To view information regarding safe day and night time travel to and from local venues, please download the Entertainment venue courtesy bus timetable 2016 (1.61mB PDF)
For information about transport services and options across the Northern Rivers visit Going Places
The Public Transport Strategy Report (1.82mB PDF)
investigates various modes of public transport including their potential for use in Tweed Shire at strategic overview level and discusses benefits and weaknesses associated with the modes. Mode options considered are heavy rail, light rail, bus ways, bus lanes and combinations of these modes. An analysis of the available public transport modes indicates that a rapid transit corridor bus system is the optimal rapid transport mode for Tweed Shire because of the Shire's relatively low current and future population and its dispersed patterns of development.
Public Transport Network
There are more than 280 daily bus services to shopping centres, clubs, pools, hospitals, colleges and other local destinations. A new type of public transport ticket, the Regional Excursion Daily (RED), can now be purchased to assist elderly people with the cost of transport. The all day ticket will be sold by the bus driver when passengers present a valid Pensioner Concession card, NSW Seniors card or War Widower/s card. The RED ticket entitles the holder to travel on more than one service within the network service area during the day on which it is purchased. This allows multiple trips to be taken on buses in the service network in the one day without further charge.
The RED ticket is available on all scheduled commercial local bus services (but not on local school services), Countrylink bus services or interstate coach services. Detailed regional transport service information is available from the Transport Information Pages at the front of the Murwillumbah Telephone Directory.
Tweed Public and Active Transport Group
Council appointed a Tweed Public and Active Transport Group on 21 July 2009 to provide advice to Council regarding public transport. The objectives of the Tweed Public and Active Transport Group are to:
- Promote development of all forms of inclusive and sustainable public, community and active (including commuting and recreational) transport and associated infrastructure in the Tweed Shire.
- Provide a forum for discussing relevant transport issues and to share information and data.
- Organise transport information and education events to support and encourage travel behaviour change and increase uptake of public, community and active transport modes.
- Participate in future strategic planning for transport in the Tweed Shire and provide input into council and cross-border transport policy, plans and decision making.
- Provide a forum for transport operators to discuss issues and challenges and support a collaborative approach to solutions.
- Identify and support relevant funding applications to improve public, community and active transport in the Tweed Shire.
- Work towards improving connectivity of all transport modes between the hinterland and the coast and across the Queensland border
Request for a new Shelter
All requests for new bus shelters should be made in writing to:-
The General Manager
Tweed Shire Council
Po Box 816
Murwillumbah NSW 2484
Please contact Council to report repairs, cleaning and vandalism to the Bus Shelters in the shire, by phoning (02) 6670 2400 or 1300 292 872. Alternatively email Council at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Council has agreements in place for advertising on bus shelters. For advertising enquiries please contact Sidewinder Advertising on (02) 6622 0077.