Becoming an Australian Citizen
For all information on how to become an Australian citizen visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's website
or phone 131 880.
In summary, the steps to follow to become an Australian Citizen are:
- Check your eligibility for citizenship on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's website or phone 131 880.
- Lodge your application for citizenship with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
- If you meet the eligibility requirement, an appointment to sit the citizenship test will be made for you by the Department at the Centrelink Office - Tweed Heads South, Level 1, 100 Blundell Boulevard, Tweed Heads South.
- Once you complete your citizenship test, await confirmation from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection that your application has been successful (allow 30-60 days).
- You will receive an invitation by post from the Mayor's office at Tweed Shire Council confirming the date and venue for the next citizenship ceremony. Ceremonies are held every few months and you will receive your invitation about a month before the ceremony. If your postal address has changed since you lodged your application with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, please let the Department know to ensure you receive your invitation.
- Confirm your attendance at the ceremony with the Mayor's office and advise the number of guests you would like to bring with you to the citizenship ceremony. If you are unable to attend, please be sure to let Council know so we can advise the Department and make arrangements to include you in the next ceremony. Note: You have up to 12 months from the date your citizenship application was approved to make a Pledge of Commitment at a citizenship ceremony.
- Enjoy your ceremony with family, friends and other new Australian citizens. The Mayor will be delighted if you and your guests can join her after the ceremony for celebratory refreshments.
The Australian Passport Office will receive confirmation of your citizenship from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection within 2-3 business days of your citizenship ceremony. For general enquiries, contact the Australian Passport Office on 131 232. To download an Australian Passport Application, you can fill in an online form on their website Australian Passport Office
. Application forms are also available from the Post Office, where you can also lodge your completed application. Once the Australian Passport Office receives your application form, allow 10 working days for your application to be processed.If you require a passport urgently, the Australian Passport Office provide a Priority Processing option for an additional fee of $108 to process your application within 2 working days of receiving it. Alternatively, you can arrange to hand-deliver your application to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 150 Charlotte Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000. You will need to contact them to make an appointment, phone (07) 3405 4799, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mayor's Office
The Mayor's office has great pleasure in hosting your Citizenship Ceremony. For all enquiries relating to the ceremony, please contact Carole Goodwin on 02 6670 2402 or email email@example.com
. For all other enquiries relating to citizenship, please contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, phone 131 880.
Please see below for the dates of our 2017 ceremonies. Once your application for Citizenship has been approved we will invite you to attend the next available ceremony. We look forward to welcoming you as a new Australian citizen.
Australia Day - 26 January - Twin Towns Services Club
Tuesday 11 April - Murwillumbah Civic Centre Auditorium
Monday 5 June - Murwillumbah Civic Centre Auditorium
Monday 23 October - Murwillumbah Civic Centre