Skip to Display Options Skip to Main Content
Tourist Information Local Weather The Tweed A -  |  A +
Skip Navigation Links Home : : My Property : : Animals and Pets

Email Link   Animals and Pets

Issues To Consider Before Acquiring a Cat or Dog

The following are some of the issues you should consider before deciding to acquire a Companion Animal:
  • Changes in your life that may influence your willingness or ability to keep the animal. These may include extended overseas travel, having children, changing homes to a place not suited to animals, change of jobs, financial security or ongoing ability to exercise the animal.
  • Are you willing to care for the animal up to and over 10 years and do you know how to properly care for a pet?
  • Are you willing to regularly exercise the animal to minimise boredom related problems and spend time and money training the animal?
  • Can you afford to pay for a pet and all the associated ongoing costs such as purchase, worming, vaccination, registration, microchipping, veterinarian accounts, food, grooming and upkeep that can quickly add up to $1500 and $2000 per year?
  • Will your partner or family be committed to keeping the animal?
  • How big is the place where you live? Has it got an adequate exercise area?
  • Is your yard fenced? Have you got particularly sensitive neighbours?
  • How big an animal should you acquire?
  • What are the needs of the individual breed? Is it susceptible to certain health problems that could be costly? Is it likely to want a lot, or little exercise? Is it likely to be aggressive? Are they good with children?
  • Do you live near sensitive bushland or native species habitat?
  • Is this just a fad? Do you really want the commitment?
  • Has it been microchipped by the breeder?
  • If you already have animals, do you have enough space for another one and will they fit in together?
  • Do you rent or own your property? Some rentals do not allow pets. If you rent and move, it may be difficult to find another property that allows pets.
  • Who else will live in the household (babies, toddlers, elderly)?
  • What personality traits are you looking for in a pet?
If you are considering purchasing an animal from Tweed Shire Council’s Pound at Leddays Creek Road, Stotts Creek, the Pound Attendants can offer advice on what animal will best suit you and/or your family’s needs. The Pound is open to the public 7 days a week from 10am to 4pm or you can phone them on 02 6670 7420.

Companion Animals Management Plan

In today’s urban environment, there is general recognition of the right of dog and cat owners to have, and enjoy, the companionship of their pet. However, there must also be the recognition of the rights of others to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle without unreasonable interference from nuisance pets.
Companion Animals Management Plan Policy (86kB PDF)

Companion Animals Act 1998

View the Companion Animals Act 1998 on the NSW legislation website.

Your Responsibilities as a pet owner.

Council's Responsible Dog and Cat Ownership Brochure (2.07mB PDF) offers useful information and guidelines for per owners.

Pet tags

Dogs and cats must wear a tag that states name, address and phone number or any combination of the three.


It is a requirement that dogs and cats are registered by 6 months of age. Council Registers Dogs and Cats. You may also register your dog or cat at our local pound, or in some circumstances online at .


In NSW, Cats (born after July 1999) and all dogs must be permanently identified with a microchip by 12 weeks of age or at point of sale or change of ownership, (which ever occurs first). Visit OLG Website to find out more about microchipping. For more information see Microchipping and Registration.

Updating details on NSW Companion Animal Register (NSW PetRegistry)

Details of dogs and cats that are entered on to the NSW Companion Animal Register (PetRegistry) are required to be kept up to date. It is the owners responsiblity to update any change of contact details including phone numbers, address, email address or a change in ownership. The owner is also required to advise Council if the animal is deceased.Deceased Animal Notification (58kB PDF)

Impounding Companion Animals

In accordance with the Companion Animals Act 1998 authorised Council officers may seize a companion animal, namely a dog or cat, if the animal is found wandering unleashed in a public place.
If an animal that has been seized has a micro-chip or a tag with a name, address or phone number then the owner will initially receive a phone call regarding the impounding, and if no contact is made, it will be followed up by way of written notification. Councils Animal Impounding facility is located at Leddays Creek Road Stott’s Island and is open to the public 7 days a week excluding public holidays from 10am - 4pm. The contact number for the facility
is 02 6670 7420. There are costs associated with the release of an animal from the impounding facility and this is in accordance with Councils Fees and Charges. Additional fees and charges apply for dogs and cats which are not microchipped and/or lifetime registered. For further information please see Council's Animal Pound.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can I contact if I am concerned about the welfare of an animal?
Please contact the RSPCA Cruelty Hotline on 1300 278 358 or (02) 9770 7555, to report any animal welfare concerns.
Who do I report Dingo sightings to?
Please report dingo sightings in National Parks to National Parks and Wildlife Service on (02) 6670 8600.  Dingo sightings on any other land should be reported to North Coast Local Land Services on 1300 795 299 or (02) 6621 2317.
Last Updated: 08 February 2018